The JBug going Stateside

joeybug

Reaction score
Hey Everyone :D

As you may or may not know, I turn 30 on Jan 6th 2012, this is a big thing for many reasons, not just because it's the BIG 3-0. I also have a friend/SO who lives in Kansas and we share a birthday and it was planned that he would come here, but now doesn't look like that's going to happen, so...

My Dad has offered to pay for me to fly over there in Jan and spend a few weeks there, maybe 2 or 3. I wondered, since this will probably be my last trip Stateside because of my declining health (and that's even if I get declared fit to fly at all!) what members of UU I could arrange to meet. I have a friend in I think it's Indiana who I plan to meet up with at some point, but wondered what Ukesters I could meet from UU :D

I'll be in Kansas City, Kansas and will probably hire a car so travel is an okay thing, and though I would like to spend a bit of the time with my SO, he'll have to work so I'll be free the days I'm not working on my uni stuff. So, who's up for a meet up during that time?!

Of course I'll bring an Uke, if I have it by then, it'll probably be my Cursley Custom, if not, I'm not really sure, but I'll make the agonising decision closer to the time!

Any Uke groups I could go to? I'd love the opportunity to play with others, especially some from UU :D

Joey

Sounds like a fun trip! As far as a traveling ukulele goes, I recommend your Poiple Flea. It is durable, poiple, and not subject to any of the crazy scrutineering going on in the international wood trade... I wood hate to see your new custom get a hassle in customs! (please excuse the horrible puns, I could not help myself.)

Purple Power!

Sounds like a fun trip! As far as a traveling ukulele goes, I recommend your Poiple Flea. It is durable, poiple, and not subject to any of the crazy scrutineering going on in the international wood trade... I wood hate to see your new custom get a hassle in customs! (please excuse the horrible puns, I could not help myself.)

Purple Power!

I second this. Fleas are made to be beaten. You can just throw it in your backpack and forget about it! It wouldn't even be an extra carry on!

I hope you find some people to hook up and jam with. Good luck!

Have fun, Joey~ how exciting!

Your trip sounds really exciting! There's a group in Kansas City (I'm not sure whether it's the Kansas City in Kansas or the Kansas City in Missouri, but the two cities are just a few miles away from each other) called the Kansas City Ukesters. Their motto is "Cogito Ergo Strum," so I love 'em already.

Here's the group's website: http://www.kcuke.com/

Here's the group's YouTube promotional video:

Last edited:
Hey J-Bug, I live in lower Michigan (40 Miles north/east of South Bend Indiana). I would love to meet you if you get a chance while here in the USA. What part of Indiana are you going to be visiting?

PM me with your schedule and I would love to find a way to fit in there...

God Bless..

If you don't have one, start looking for a GoreTex or similar lightweight Parka (even if you have to borrow one) to keep that Midwestern wind out in January. You can layer under it, but lesser jackets won't stop the cold wind.

Hi, Joey - sorry that Kansas is too far away for a visit from the Upstate NY contingent (like, half a continent!), but we can all pretend you're visiting us, while you are on this side of the pond.

And I second what Phil Said re: GoreTex - I'd also recommend silk long underwear. (The company I buy from is Wintersilks. I don't know if they sell in the UK.

. . . ... .-Kurt

Joey while in Kansas make sure to see the scarecrow, lion and tinman:) You must bring a flying monkey back to the UK as well!
Have fun here in the states.

Oh, I'm so tempted to buy a flying monkey as I collect them (normal monkeys too!)

Your trip sounds really exciting! There's a group in Kansas City (I'm not sure whether it's the Kansas City in Kansas or the Kansas City in Missouri, but the two cities are just a few miles away from each other) called the Kansas City Ukesters. Their motto is "Cogito Ergo Strum," so I love 'em already.

Here's the group's website: http://www.kcuke.com/

Here's the group's YouTube promotional video:

Thanks for the link, will have to check them out!

Hey J-Bug, I live in lower Michigan (40 Miles north/east of South Bend Indiana). I would love to meet you if you get a chance while here in the USA. What part of Indiana are you going to be visiting?

PM me with your schedule and I would love to find a way to fit in there...

God Bless..

I don't have a schedule yet, but my friend is in Newburgh, which I think is in Indiana, still not sure, but it would be great if I could meet you too!

If you don't have one, start looking for a GoreTex or similar lightweight Parka (even if you have to borrow one) to keep that Midwestern wind out in January. You can layer under it, but lesser jackets won't stop the cold wind.

Hi, Joey - sorry that Kansas is too far away for a visit from the Upstate NY contingent (like, half a continent!), but we can all pretend you're visiting us, while you are on this side of the pond.

And I second what Phil Said re: GoreTex - I'd also recommend silk long underwear. (The company I buy from is Wintersilks. I don't know if they sell in the UK.

. . . ... .-Kurt

Thanks for the advice, will look into that! And Kurt, wish it wasn't so far, but NY is just too far, unless I have to switch planes in NY then I could make my layover longer to meet you and Carrie!

I'm with Kurt.. too far away as well.. I wish you weren't, but I still hope you have a marvelous visit!!!

I might have to switch planes in NY so maybe we could have an airport meet up jammin' session or something!

That is way on the southern edge of Indiana. About 600km from me. About a 7 hour drive, but still would like your schedule when you get it. If I can work it out, I would love to get to ya to see and meet you.

That is way on the southern edge of Indiana. About 600km from me. About a 7 hour drive, but still would like your schedule when you get it. If I can work it out, I would love to get to ya to see and meet you.

I'll PM it to ya when I have it, I know it'll be around Jan 6th because that's my birthday but I don't know how long I'll stay or whatnot and how muc h travelling around I'll do, would love to do some! And would love to meet ya!

Okay, so it's been put forward that I fly into Kansas, fly from there to Indiana to see my friend (and maybe Tony?) and fly from there to New York maybe and go home from there, I'll be in Kansas 10 days, Indiana about 5 and same for NY...but it's still all up in the air...

Any more tips on Uke groups?

Top Bottom