Upgrading to Tusq nut/saddle?

haole

Reaction score
I've been considering replacing the stock plastic nut and bridge saddle on my Kamaka soprano with Tusq ones made by GraphTech. From my experience, these work wonders on guitars. Has anybody else here put these on a uke, and is it recommended? How difficult is it?

Graph Tech supplies more of the `ukulele factories than you care to know, in some form or another. The saddle swap is no big deal, but the nut is probably glued in.

Most will tell you the nut doesn't have an impact on sound, except on open strings. Some will tell you neither does the saddle <smirk>.

Some builders will tell you its sacriledge to use fake ivory. Personally, the Dunwoodie's are awesome people to work with, and Tusq has very good machining properties - I'm sure you did the drop test already.

Also, I don't think Kamaka uses plastic.

If you ever lose a limb, I wonder if anyone can take some of the bone and shape you a nut/saddle out of it.

Maybe you can pocket some nice pig bones from the whole roasted pig at a Hawaiian luau (or a Filipino potluck).

Last edited:
As a builder I don't think it has a significant impact on the sound. Out of interest, I have some pre-ban elephant ivory. Sadly it is only allowed on one customer's ukulele :nana:. It was his father's (he was a jeweller). It is the best when it comes to working with - not sure it has any impact on the sound or is any different from the buffalo and camel bone I use...

Top Bottom