Uke string application question

Telecaster87

Reaction score
I have probably a rather dumb question, but i'm hoping someone may be able to help. I have a baritone ukulele and had an extra set of Martin baritone strings laying around. Well I gave them to a friend who apparently has a standard (soprano?Haven't seen it, she didn't know...) I am just curious as to whether baritone strings will work on her uke. I'm also not sure her tunings either. She is out of state for college so I shipped them to her and now i'm wondering if they will even work or what to expect, do's-don'ts, etc...
Again, probaby a ridiculous question so I apologize for the ignorance as I am a guitarist. If the thread needs to be moved, feel free to move to the proper forum category. Any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Good intentions, but no, those strings will not work well. Baritone strings, with two wound strings, are for bigger instruments with heavier bracing than a standard.

The two wound strings not only give too much sound for the little body, but most importantly, (especially if it is a vintage instrument) it will put a lot more tension on the instrument than it was designed for (bye,bye bridge).

Ah, that is unfortunate... And probably foolish on my part. But thanks for such a quick and knowledgeable response southcoastuke. I guess I need to determine what she has and send proper strings... Just a bit too eager to help a fellow musician/friend starting out and didn't need the strings.

Top Bottom