Build needs

Pono

Reaction score
I need to order the following materials for a Tenor Uke build. I already have front, sides, and back.

Fingerboard slotted (Indian Rosewood)
Neck material (South American Mahogany) I will use a scarf joint rather than carve form one solid block)
brace wood - Sitka Spruce
Neck Block
Tail Block
Bridge

Does anyone have an opinion on where to purchase these items? Is LMI better than Stewmac or should I try to get the fingerboard from a specific supplier and the neck from someone else?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for the responses. I am going to order from LMI. As for fingerboards do most people order a Mandolin fretboard from LMI and then cut it to the length needed dimensions for the tenor uke and taper it? Even the tapered ones that LMI sells are bigger than my plans call for. Any suggestions?

I often use the mandolin fretboards from LMI. If you order a guitar sized blank you can get a matching bridge to go with it.

If you buy a guitar fingerboard blank at 8-10mm thick, you can get 4 soprano/concert ukulele boards out of it..if you get a bass guitar fretboard, you can get 4 tenor boards:)..but they will need slotting :eek:

Last edited:
I usually take one guitar fretboard blank and from it get:- fretboard, bridge, headplate, bindings, butt strip and if it's ebony, enough left over for plenty of nuts and saddles

Top Bottom