Right wrist troubles.

Markr1

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my upper right wrist resting on the body when I play and it's starting to rub it raw. Am I not supposed to be touching the body with the inside of my arm while playing. I've tried not touching the body with it but it feels odd holding my arm out to keep from touching the body. Help me out I don't want to be learning any bad habits. I don't have any uke teachers around here like I had with the guitar to keep me from learning the wrong way to play. Thanks

Wrist or forearm?

Typically, the inner part of your forearm below the elbow will touch the edge of the uke.

Your wrist should not touch the uke.
not really the wrist but about 5" up my forearm from my wrist. It's worse when I'm playing my pineapple Sunday I guess because of the smaller body but still have the problem with the other ukes just not as bad with them.

I have read that some people use a sock (with the foot part cut off) as a protective sleeve on their arm for guitars to prevent irritation to the nerves in the arm from the pressure of the edge of the instrument body against one's arm. There's another recent post somewhere around here discussing it. There are also products available for the same use but which look classier than a sock. :)

I don't have trouble with this (at least yet) but I tip my headstock away from my body and up a little, so I'm not resting against the lower bout at much of an angle.

Mark...you bought a PS and a Sceptre, which are both thin body ukes. I think both are harder to hold due to thin body but also it being head heavy. I know it's not proper but if you rest on lap, less pressure to use inside forearm...Of course, you can't stand up.

Adding to Teek's advice, they have athletic sleeve that are nice and thin. I bought mine from a golf store as they are UV protection and very light. Never thought about using it but I might on those hot humid nights. Good luck

Yeah nongdam, your right they are different and I have a feeling I'm going to like the sceptre just as much so I guess I better find me a band. I use the uke leash for the pine apple and have a feeling I'll be using it for the Scepter too.
Thanks.

Wondering if you are strumming, at least partly, with your arm?????

Last edited:
Thanks Lori, I notice she is wearing hers higher then I would be wearing one. My problem is lower then that. I would need it more like between my wrist and elbow. Wonder if it would work on that area of my arm.

Thanks Lori, I notice she is wearing hers higher then I would be wearing one. My problem is lower then that. I would need it more like between my wrist and elbow. Wonder if it would work on that area of my arm.

This is what I have for golf and it's actually cooler than not having it on. It's really light material so you will hardly notice it. Comes with a little pouch and could use it for any outdoor activity as well.

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/14522/refScid/1720

Thanks nongdam that looks more like what I need. I wonder how you figure out which size I would need.

I actually bought it at the store. They're at Sports Authority and other stores. They have elastic at the top so it won't slip...very comfortable. There are two difft types...one is UV and other is thermal so a little thicker

I actually bought it at the store. They're at Sports Authority and other stores. They have elastic at the top so it won't slip...very comfortable. There are two difft types...one is UV and other is thermal so a little thicker
Did you go with the thermal or UV one? Which size did you get and do you have big arms or average? I would say mine are average definitely not big.

Did you go with the thermal or UV one? Which size did you get and do you have big arms or average? I would say mine are average definitely not big.

I have guns!! J/K LOL

I went w/ UV as I live in Cali and if it really gets cold like 60* (relative), I just wear long sleeve shirt or a jacket.

They come s/m or l/xl so I got l/xl. I think it should be based on the size shirt you wear. also, they are made from 100* poly so has some stretch. They purposely make it a little snug so if you wear medium shirts but want a little comfort, I don't think it will be too loose to wear a l/xl size.

Base it on Nike size!! My XXL shirts (J. Lindeberg-Euro size) are tighter than my Nike Large

hey, post some pics/vids of your position.
that would be of great help.

iorana

Heres a pic. you can see the redness about 3 to 5 inches up from the wrist.
100_2627.jpg

is it possible to see your overall position, including how you normally play/practice position?

your forearm does show signs of abuse. the skin by itself isn't much problem, but if you are asking for help i might think something deeper is upseting you, like the flexors of your wrist or fingers. there must be a way of correcting your position to relief that stress, cause in a longer period of time you might develop a tendinitis.

iorana

Top Bottom