Aloha Spirit

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
When I want to feel Aloha spirit, I read Uke Talk...When I want to go back to real world, I go to Luthier's Lounge. LOL

I know that ukuleles bring happiness and no one wants to be too critical about anything when it comes to ukes...It seems every uke sounds good, and everyone plays and sings well on this site but maybe we should be more like the Apollo Theatre instead of being at a kids talent show.

I killed a song and someone was kind enough to say it was "ballsy" choice of songs. Translated "YOU SUCK" Haha.

We are all grownups and can handle the truth...."You can't handle the truth"

Just rambling...I did always appreciate getting a participation trophy in sports!! LOL

Most don't come here for the truth. Most come here for friendship and to feel better. An escape from the real world and I for one like it that way.

Most don't come here for the truth. Most come here for friendship and to feel better. An escape from the real world and I for one like it that way.

This.

If I want "truth" from people I don't know, I'll go out on the street and ask them.

This forum is a place of support and love and helping folks out. It's a community of disparate and discrete strangers, joined by one thread... and that thread is all that matters.

I think that's why people react so strongly to people causing trouble here.

Ukuleles make people happy. I'd rather listen to a ukulele player who sucks, but is loving what he's doing, who is happy and jamming away with a grin on his face, than most accomplished musicians.

There's no room for bad feelings.

Last edited:
This.

If I want "truth" from people I don't know.

This forum is a place of support and love and helping folks out. It's a community of disparate and discrete strangers, joined by one thread... and that thread is all that matters.

Ukuleles make people happy. I'd rather listen to a ukulele player who sucks, but is loving what he's doing, who is happy and jamming away with a grin on his face, than most accomplished musicians.

VERY TRUE!!! The real world is hard enough as it is

This.

If I want "truth" from people I don't know, I'll go out on the street and ask them.

:agree: totally!

I like the fact that I can come here and leave the "real world" behind in some ways, but I also like the fact that it's a place where I feel I can get an honest opinion of whether my playing has improved. Sometimes, not matter who you are and what age you are and what level you are, it's nice and constructive to be told "You're improving! You're doing well! Look how far you've come from a year/month ago!" It helps me at least, I like to know that if I truly did suck, people may not say it out in the public forum, but they will (I hope!) come to me in PM and say...hey that video you just did wasn't that good, but there is room for improvement..etc.

I like that it's a friendly forum, that Aloha spirit reigns free in UU and I like to dome here to "escape" some of my problems in the "real world". It's more like a group of people becoming family than any other forum I've been a member of.

I hope my ramblings made sense, I've got another infection and in pain and sore and woozy from painkillers and fever...

Another thing, like UE said, I'd rather see someone trying and loving every second of playing and performing than someone who's just talented but has no passion for what they do!

My thoughts :D

Joey :music:

... maybe we should be more like the Apollo Theatre instead of being at a kids talent show.

I killed a song and someone was kind enough to say it was "ballsy" choice of songs. Translated "YOU SUCK" Haha.

I get enough "Apollo Theatre" at home from my daughters. Even the one year old will throw herself onto my fretboard in an effort to stop the madness. My wife even dishes it out with the occasional, "Hey Jake, dinner time!" jabs. But I can always come here for incredibly knowledgable info/feedback delivered in supportive taco wrapped in a pizza of mutual respect. That's why this place is great.

As the originator of the ballsy choice comment, I wasn't just being kind. I meant it. It takes incredible courage to expose yourself like that. I'm not sure I could. Every time I video a song all I can think is that my Indian name wouldn't have been Dances with Chins. Forget the performance.

And in reality, we're probably getting plenty of the Sandman sweeping off the let's say, "really ballsy" choices. :) We just don't know it.

When I want to feel Aloha spirit, I read Uke Talk...When I want to go back to real world, I go to Luthier's Lounge. LOL

I know that ukuleles bring happiness and no one wants to be too critical about anything when it comes to ukes...It seems every uke sounds good, and everyone plays and sings well on this site but maybe we should be more like the Apollo Theatre instead of being at a kids talent show.

We are all grownups and can handle the truth...."You can't handle the truth"

Just rambling...I did always appreciate getting a participation trophy in sports!! LOL

I'm not sure I get what you're going for here. Do you want there to be a flame section where the UUers go ahead and just slam each other about how stupid their comments are, what pieces of crap their choice in ukes are, or what horrible players they are?

Seems to me that the comments thus far in response to you are pretty spot on. Heck, in fact you even acknowledge as much when you sort of do a 180 and back off your opening comment. And, as you said, we are all adults and don't need this place to be "Showtime at the Apollo." I think we know if we said something stupid, if our ukes are piles of crap, or our playing sucks. The last thing we need is to have this place turn into a slagfest where everyone piles on. This is supposed to be where we can get together to give each other encouragement and pointers on how to get better, or just commiserate about how we can't yet afford a stable of $1,000 ukuleles (three of each size and a couple of vanity custom jobs as well) and have to make due with a garbage laminate for now. You know, without being mocked.

I don't mean to sound harsh or anything, but I guess I'm just scratching my head about what exactly your initial post was aiming at. Sorta sounds like what you initially considered is pretty much the exact opposite of aloha.

Last edited:
I like the spirit here, and like to share what I am doing. But I have noticed in the Luth area where I been hanging out allot, it does get sort of harsh, especially on hacks like myself. At first, I got irritated, but after thinking long and hard about it, lost that "hurt" feeling. After all, it is a profesional area of the board, where the pro builders hang out. I am a hack not a pro, so to be honest, they SHOULD be harsh on myself, and other "hobbiests". They do this for a living, to send their kids to college, to pay their mortgages, and feed their families. Many of them have been doing it for 20 plus years, and are very good in their craft. They do still do with their hands that many don't anymore due to mass production, and automation. They are a dying breed, and that is a shame. Sure they are very protective of their craft, they SHOULD be. I for one, don't want to see craftsmanship die due to the fast paced, greed of mass production. I love, and admire what they do, and wish I could afford their services, but I can't. Sure, their ukes cost hundreds and into the thousands of dollars. Honestly, it's not enough for the work, skill and heart they pour into it. Sure I can buy a uke that sounds just as good, and really nice for much less. But I'm telling you, if I could afford it, I would rather have theirs because it was build by hand, and not a machine. Someone honed it with the skills of their hands that they developed over decades. I wish society put as much value in that as they do, and as I do. I just wish I could afford to support that, because I want the craft to be around for my kids, and my grandkids. So harsh, you bet they are, and they should be. I take their advice, and their snippy words to heart to help myself get better. I will never measure up to those guys. I started too late. But, I can at least strive to and respect their options weather I agree, or get my feelings hurt by it, or not. Here is open forum, it's different. Its sugar coated. And this is where ya should go for the sugar coated encurragement. In the Luth area, I want the truth, hurt of not.. Just sayin... Thanks to the Luthiers for doing what you do. Don't stop.. And thanks for everyone else here for lying to me and telling me how good I am.. It's an ego boost I need every so often.. ;)

Last edited:
You don't have to love everything everyone does or hide the truth in order to have aloha spirit. Just have some degree of tolerance and respect, and don't be a jerk if you're going to be critical. Aloha is compatible with the real world.

You don't have to love everything everyone does or hide the truth in order to have aloha spirit. Just have some degree of tolerance and respect, and don't be a jerk if you're going to be critical. Aloha is compatible with the real world.

I totally agree with this.

Excellent post.

The OP seems to have been referring to a couple of trivial differences of opinion that took place recently. To be honest, I don't think it's helpful to dig up negative things that are pretty much past and forgotten - no matter how rambling or obscure the reference.

Haole's post probably says all that needs to be said.

If anyone has been here for awhile they would know we go through spells like now. It does seem that the aloha spirit can be missing at times but it really isn't. Grumpy's rant is pretty funny and I agree with it. The ukulele isn't always a happy instrument and just b/c i play it doesn't mean I have to be politically correct or happy go lucky all the time. I refuse to lie to someone and if I don't think something is good, i just don't comment. Then again, I don't watch many videos on YT or here so I don't comment that much at all.

With that said I do feel it is my responsibility to be reasonable and tactful and respectful of others. There is no need for me to tell someone they suck. I have no idea what they are going through. I can be encouraging. There is a particular UUer who touched me when he first started posting videos. He wasn't good at all, but I saw the passion and desire to do better. He quickly became one of my favorite UUers and I am proud to call him my friend. How did he become better? It wasn't b/c people told him he sucked. IT was b/c people took time out to offer advise and to listen to him.

I don't want to be lied to but I don't want to be told I suck. This is why I tell everyone that my singing is terrible. I am up front about it. There is no need for anyone to tell me my singing sucks if I beat you to it:)

Aloha spirit? Most don't even know what it is, however it is alive and well here, regardless of the times that it isn't evident.

Grumpy Coyote certainly lives up to his nick at times, but sometimes I think we need a bit of crusty curmudgeonry to combat the "land of happy, happy joy joy" attitude that often seems to dominate UU.

I've learned to bite my tongue a bit and would certainly never tell anyone who's making a sincere effort that they suck. But sometimes when a video is so bad I can't even finish watching it, it's all I can do to roll my eyes and close the browser window after seeing a slew of responses like "Great job, that was awesome!"

Honestly, sometimes I think unwarranted praise does more harm than good. Constructive criticism and encouragement doesn't mean telling someone they're fantastic when they're not.

IMHO when it comes to artistic expression , good and bad is relative to ones perspective and tastes in as much as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So are abilities. If you are listening to a beginner of course they arent going to sound as good as someone experienced, there is no need to tell them they suck becuase they dont, they are just at a stage in their musical journey and I can always apreciate that and find somethign good and enjoyable, about that and leave a nice comment. if someone asks for a critique or help as to what they can do better it is easy enough to give constructive tips. And all very honestly without the need to be belittling someone. And this goes for dealing with anyone in any situation for that matter. Its not about a lack of honesty, happy happy joy joy. its about being kind, considerate and respectful instead of hurtful( intentionaly or unintentionaly). Nothing wrong with that, I myself would like to see things kept that way. after all this is not a guitar forum...;)

after all this is not a guitar forum...;)

Hey, many of us also play guitar now.. ;) Actually, on my Les Paul forum, ages are between 14-70's. Average age is probably in the mid 30's I would think. Anywhere from hard rock, metal heads, country, jazz, blues, and probably others. There is a HUGE mix of ages, personalities, and musical tastes on that forum. But I have to say, that probably more than 80% of the people on that forum are good honest folk, and very supportive and helpful folk. There are just a small handfulls of "tools", and they really aren't that bad either, because for the most part, there is ALLOT of experience on that forum, and it all keeps the 'tools" in check. So, the "Aloha Spirit" moves in the guitar crowd too.. ;)

When it comes to critiquing people, I go by the rule of "UE MCing At UWC"...

EVERYONE gets a hug and everyone gets told they're awesome, because they are making music.

But, as my beautiful ginger mountain said, if I don't have anything nice to say about their playing, I don't say anything.

If anyone has been here for awhile they would know we go through spells like now. It does seem that the aloha spirit can be missing at times but it really isn't. Grumpy's rant is pretty funny and I agree with it. The ukulele isn't always a happy instrument and just b/c i play it doesn't mean I have to be politically correct or happy go lucky all the time. I refuse to lie to someone and if I don't think something is good, i just don't comment. Then again, I don't watch many videos on YT or here so I don't comment that much at all.

With that said I do feel it is my responsibility to be reasonable and tactful and respectful of others. There is no need for me to tell someone they suck. I have no idea what they are going through. I can be encouraging.

I don't want to be lied to but I don't want to be told I suck. This is why I tell everyone that my singing is terrible. I am up front about it. There is no need for anyone to tell me my singing sucks if I beat you to it:)

Aloha spirit? Most don't even know what it is, however it is alive and well here, regardless of the times that it isn't evident.

Thank you, I feel exactly the same way. If I can't be helpful or positive, then there's really no need for my comment. That's why I've been out of the Luthier's Lounge lately. It's become sad, distasteful and embarrassing. I've been on this forum for so long I feel like I helped build the Lounge and I'm pretty upset with what's happened to it lately. Along with the spirit of ALOHA, the other attitude that is held in high regard in Hawaii is RESPECT. Folks got to learn to respect; agree or disagree but respect each other. If you acted in a disrespectful manner in my home I wouldn't tolerate it. I can't boot anyone off this forum but I CAN remove myself. Although I haven't participated in any of the angry threads mentioned, it'll be a while before I feel comfortable in the Lounge again. It saddens me when I think of the valuable members we've lost in the past because of such nonsense.
Kudos to the majority of the members here who are respectful of this PUBLIC forum. If we act with kindness and respect we can continue to learn, share, discuss topics intelligently and even kid around a bit. The health of this forum is the result of the behaviour of it's combined members. Let's keep it as great as it can be. RESPECT. ALOHA. MAHALO. (Most of us learned these things when we were five.)
........stepping off my soap box now............ :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom