Pin Bridges - Pros and Cons?...

GKK

Reaction score
Are "Pin Bridges" desirable and what are the advantages and disadvantages to having them?

Do the string ends need anything to secure them with the pins? Thanks

Have them on my Kanile'a. Personally I think they are just cosmetic.

They just need a knot on the end,thats all. As such easier than tie bridges, but an extra fiddle over basic slotted bridges.

Look great though

Bridge pins are horrible, avoid them if possible. If you don't secure them correctly they can break a window or take out an eyeball. Safety goggles and a helmet are a necessary safety precaution when changing strings.

They're very aesthetically pleasing and they're much easier than tie bridges. Plus, if you have a wound string, you don't have to worry about scratching up a tie bridge.

I think it puts less pressure on the bridge. I have them in my Kanilea and HATED them at first. I like them now, and think they are a good idea in the long run. I kind of like the beads through the abridge Idea a bit better.

Thanks, all.

I was just wondering because looking at Ukulele's online the sellers always point out the pin bridges as something special. Tie bridges look easier and more secure too, me though.

If the pins are flying out of the bridge when you tune up the strings, it is because the string is not seated into the bridge properly or the bridge is made wrong. A good pin bridge has a slot cut into the hole where the string slides into, the pin then locks the string into place and preventing the string from coming out. Is is always a good idea to add a small bead on the string also.

When made correctly, a pin bridge will work with ease and will last the lifetime of the uke.

I like bridge pins. In addition to a cleaner look, IMO, I like the thought that build-wise, it just isn't glue holding the bridge to the soundboard.

I don't really see any cons with bridge pins. They look great and are very functional.

Top Bottom