Have to learn Joe Brown's "See you in my dreams" by Friday

byjimini

Reaction score
The mother of a fiddle player in a band I recently left has sadly passed away with cancer, and he wants the band to play it on friday after the funeral. Obviously I've got all the twiddly bits to do as I (was) the uke player.

Talk about pressure. I've never even heard of Joe Brown, let alone the song; I usually avoid people that play the uke otherwise all you end up doing is copying what they do instead of branching out on your own, in my opinion.

*howls*

I just searched, I swore I had that song to learn someday but I can't find it anywhere. If I find it i will post it. I always thought of it as a George Harrison song.

I've got the tab from Dominator and have a learn-along Youtube video, tho both have different progressions.

Don't you just hate it when that happens... It looks like Joe Brown played this song in tribute to George Harrison. It is a good funeral song. I am sure you will have it ready by Friday, good luck.

The tab from Dominator is very like Joe Brown's version of the song but some of the chords are a little too complex for me. I can type up my version in a jiffy if you need it. Here's his version from the Concert for George Harrison which will help you get the melody quickly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABNKwEavjrI

It's an amazing song to learn, and it's one of my favorites. I covered it about a week ago for the folks here!

Just get the feel right and you're home free. Let me know if you need anything, I'll be around all day. Good luck!

Got the hang of it, just need to keep playing it. When I saw the tab I panicked, but they're mostly tightly packed in those first 3 frets.

It's more the singing that I'm worried about now, since I imagine it'll mostly be me and the crowd. I'll just have to give what I've got at rehearsals tomorrow and see if they like it, if not there's a lot of practising to be done! Joe Brown seems to keep quite calm in the song, whereas I like to let rip, so that'll be a challenge. :)

But yes, it is a lovely song, I can see me including it in my setlist for a gig in october.

Top Bottom