Bb fingering

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi All
Just learning a few more chords. Can I finger Bb as

1st finger 1st fret E string
2nd finger 1st fret A string

or would this cause problems to get to other chords?

Also can I finger D as

2 on 2nd fret

Thanks in advance Phil.

there really is no correct way of finger positioning when you play the same chord actually.
some fingerings are easier to use in songs because of chord progression and sometimes you may have to play a chord differently than you usually do. especially those that are used to playing guitar. i tried teaching some chords to some friends and they fingered chords a little differently than i do, and i have no chord experience on a guitar.

In general, as long as all four strings are ringing clearly, you've found a good way to play a chord. Your instinct is correct, switching chords may be more or less difficult depending on fingering choice. Lately I've been learning that there's not one "best" fingering for most chords.

I'd suggest using some practice time to learn the standard fingering for Bb---it'll pay off!

In our Ukulele Club most folk play Bb with a full barre
on fret one to allow the other two fingers to work right.
Personally I always use a 'half barre' and just fret E & A
at fret one with the top joint of my index finger.
But as usual,what works for YOU is good,for you!

Easier (for me anyway) to play the first two strings with my index finger... practice. It'll come to you.

Easier (for me anyway) to play the first two strings with my index finger... practice. It'll come to you.
Nowhere near at the moment can not seem to bend index finger. It just seems impossible but everybody else can do it with ease by the look of things.Seems like everybody else has got an extra joint in there finger, mine just does straight.

If that index finger won't bend for you, barre all four strings with it. Then use whichever two fingers work to fret the 3rd and 4th strings.

Barring the first fret has advantages when moving to other chords as the shape is moveable. If you don't barre it you will have to when you try to move it. But if it works there is no correct way but to make moving it easier its good to start out that way.

I always use a 'half barre' and just fret E & A
at fret one with the top joint of my index finger.

Ditto here. I also use that for Bm and everything else like this up the fretboard. It can be hard at first, but practice makes it easier. And that really is the answer to all of the fingering problems, isn't it?

I'm just trying to learn Bb right now. At the moment I am finding it easier to "half barre" the first fret with one finger, but I reckon more experimentation is needed yet.

On a tangent, hoping to toddle over with the mad woman next door and join your little soiree tomorrow night Luthien. Will find out at about lunchtime tomorrow whether I will have to work late or not, but fingers crossed, I'll see you at 7pm!

Shiftysquirrel; you did,it was,we are! You were
welcome to our little soiree and are welcome back
at any time! Meanwhile practice that funky Bb chord
because you will need it a lot!

The Bb has been the bane of my existance with learning to play my uke. However, I just had a breakthrough, and can now get a great sound out of that chord. Barre the A and E strings with your index finger like normal and hit the C string with your ring finger and the G string with your baby finger. I have'nt used it in a song to see if it will inhibit going smoothly to another chord, but I finally get a crisp clear sound from the dreaded Bb. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom