If Oscar Could Play Uke

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
Every day, I pass by the statue of Oscar Peterson (Canadian jazz pianist) on my way to work in Ottawa. I've always been wondering… "What if Oscar played Uke?" as I pass by on the bus.

So, I finally wrote a song about it. I did have some help from a mysterious cowriter. Names withheld.

If Oscar Could Play Uke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19SU_fqaZek

OscarANDme.jpg

cheerio!

Petey

Last edited:
I had no idea Oscar Peterson was Canadian. He's one of my favorite piano players.

Oh - the video is 'private' so it can't be viewed. My curiosity is piqued.....

Sorry, I had to delete the original that had a few annoying sounds that my best friend complained about. The new link is above. Or:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19SU_fqaZek

Yep, Oscar was from Montreal where I lived a long time.

Petey

A much treasured and regular stalwart of English television some years back. I bought 'Wheatlands' on LP when I was nowt but a lad. A glorious and I would say compulsory addition to anyone's music collection. The trio that recorded it were Oscar, Joe Pass and Niels Henning-orsted-peterson-yakky-da-indeed-to-goodness-boyo ( I may have the bass players name slightly wrong there)
A chilling thought passed through my mighty brain when I read the thread title... I am loath to admit it... but I doubt if it would have sounded better if it had been recorded with ALL the trio on Makala Dolphins!! ( The wooden ones, not the new composite sh'te)

Nice tune, Petey. I do think Oscar would've sounded mighty fine on the uke.... on just about anything, really. I'm not sure there's a musician in any genre with a better improvisational understanding of harmony.

And I dig the red hat. Your videos are always fun to watch and the editing is great. Good stuff....

Nice tune, Petey. I do think Oscar would've sounded mighty fine on the uke.... on just about anything, really. I'm not sure there's a musician in any genre with a better improvisational understanding of harmony.
And I dig the red hat. Your videos are always fun to watch and the editing is great. Good stuff....
Thanks... Oscar is SO cool, but the busy street corner is not a good place for that statue. I hope he gets moved where he can be appreciated more.

Video-editing isn't that difficult: play live uke with a tripod, take a few still shots afterwards, and mash it all up with a few props and transitions. That's it! Thanks! Petey

Top Bottom