Suzuki's Manji harmonica

ichadwick

Reaction score
Managed to finally get a Manji harp, one of the latest from Suzuki. Expensive ($53 for one) but apparently well-engineered and has some design innovations. Will be testing and reviewing it on my harmonica pages soon.

I've always liked Suzuki harps - I think their Bluesmaster is one of the best diatonics on the market and the best bang for the buck. Nice, responsive reeds. The Promaster is great, too, but pretty expensive for amateurs like me.

The only other maker I think is competitive is Seydel, and they have some really nice harps including several different tuning and some minor keys that no one else offers.

I like the Manji I have, though it's in an odd key I don't use much (E, should have got Eb). I find them well built and responsive, though I think I prefer the feel of the Seydel comb. But that's just a preference thing, you really can't go wrong with either.

I've also got a couple Hohner Crossovers which are pretty nice, but in terms of feel and playability I'd still place the Manji and Seydel over it, for me. Though it does have a bit of that brassier Marine Band sound, if one happens to be looking for that.

-Scott

I prefer the plastic combs that enclose the reed plates - never liked reed plates sticking out, and never got the hang of really playing well on those. Lee Oscars keep me happy.

I've been pretty happy with my Lee Oskars and Golden Melody harps. But have not tried either the Seydal or Suzukis. I'm looking forward to your review.

As far as plastic combs go I really like the Special 20s. I had a couple Lee Oskars and they performed well but the numbers are stamped pretty deep into them and for some reason it always bothered me to feel on my lips. The Seydels that I have do not have any numbers stamped on them, and I really like that.

I was a Lee Oskar fan until I tried the Suzuki harps (and the Seydel and even the Bushman Delta Frost). Plastic is great for combs, but metal is also interesting.

Top Bottom