String preferences for Solid Mahogany

Dane

Reaction score
I have a Ohana TK-35G, its a tenor. And I know that this is the string question that is always tossed out. But I was searching the threads for what people like to use for Mahogany specifically, and I didn't find too many answers.

So I thought I'd put up a thread. Apologies for if i am repeating myself, I tend to forget things quite easily.

If you play or have played a solid mahogany, (preferably a tenor) what strings do you like to use? :)

EDIT: Oh and I'd like to add on, that I am quite confused by the choices of worth strings. Whats the difference between browns and clears? Brown BT and Brown BS? Clear CT and Clear CT-LG? It's all quite intimidating to me. I'm sorry if this is a silly question.

Last edited:
Tomdini recently strung his up with Worth Clears. I got to play it. They sound awesome.

Ken Middleton has a review for the same Ohana on YouTube. He strung it up on Aquilas, but he said they sounded too bright. I agreed. Tomdini also used Aquilas previously, and it sounded awkward to me.

From the videos I've seen of Ken Middleton, he tends to use D'addarios on mahogany ukuleles and Aquilas on koa ukuleles. Maybe he'll chime in here.

Ken's video review of Ohana TK-35G:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SxA1D6Odk

Yeah he only has 1 or 2 videos of the Ohana with Aquilas, including the review.

Is there much of a difference between the worth browns and clears?

Oh and I'd like to add on, that I am quite confused by the choices of worth strings. Whats the difference between browns and clears? Brown BT and Brown BS? Clear CT and Clear CT-LG? It's all quite intimidating to me. I'm sorry if this is a silly question.
That info can be found here; view the codes on this table . . .

Aaah ok! Thanks bud

I'm still wondering if the browns and clears sound the same. Because there is the brown BT, and Clear CT with the same diameters and everything. Then there is the brown BS, which has some thicker strings, which I assume sound different.

At this time I favour brown Worths on mahoganny and Aquila on koa and rosewood.

If it is a light instrument with thin wood I find Aquilas too strong and bright. Aquila seem to work better on heavier instruments.

At the moment my very light mahogany Kiwaya is strung with nylon Martins.

Hope this helps

KEN

aquilas would ruin the mellow sound of the uke...so id go with either worths or maybe even d'adario. or however you spell it.....

aquilas would ruin the mellow sound of the uke...so id go with either worths or maybe even d'adario. or however you spell it.....

We have Aquilas on all of our solid mahogany ukuleles, and I certainly wouldn't say that they ruined the sound the ukes!!!

Are the worth browns and clears going to sound the same? Because if so then I will want one of them in a thicker gauge.

I recently changed my strings to Worth Clears. I have the same model ukulele as you.
They are thinner than the Aquila's that it came with. I happen to think the sound has improved as well as the intonation. The sound seems to have less projection than with the Aquila's - if that makes sense.

It may be a unique issue with my ukulele but I'm trying to track down a buzz around the C-string. Could be because the Clears are of smaller gauge. I've used your paper trick at the nut and it helped. I think the strings are still settling down.

Are the worth browns and clears going to sound the same? Because if so then I will want one of them in a thicker gauge.

No, they sound different. The clears resonate more. The browns sound a little more "dead," which isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on your preferences.

Hmm, checked your action and saddle and everything? Excess string that might be buzzing against the body or something? I'm certainly no expert, maybe someone else will have some advice.

And it's not MY paper trick ;) You should see my oscar schmidt, it has them on all 4 strings, as well as pieces of paper on all 4 strings at the saddle to raise them off the frets a little more, it doesn't make the uke look nice haha.

No, they sound different. The clears resonate more. The browns sound a little more "dead," which isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on your preferences.

Oh ok! Thank you very much :) I'm off to buy some strings, I have aquilas on now. I'm going to order some browns, clears, and then the blackline fremonts to try out. I'll try those out last since the worths come in enough for 2 sets.

Top Bottom