Rogue Soprano inquiry

D

dhoenisch

Good morning all. I was hoping to seek a little insight from some of you on the Rogue soprano uke.

I would like a cheapo uke that I can just kind of toss in the car or motorcycle to take camping or just to bring it with me at times when I may have some time to spare. Just some cheap knock-around uke that I don't have to worry about.

I do know that there are much better ukes out there in the $25 range, and in fact, have helped folks with the purchase and set-up of the Mahalo ukes. Thing is, for me, I am kind of anal about MY instruments. I mean, I do have some weird love for cheapo instruments, but I also have requirements for them. One is that I absolutely hate painted instruments. I love natural wood, and even though cheapos are laminated, I still like the top veneer layer to be seen, and not under a bunch of paint. Also, I hate painted or stained fretboards. I love seeing the rosewood or the ebony, or whatever they may be made of. So, since the Mahalo, as good as it sounds, does not meet my weird requirements, I was looking at the Rogue.

Now, I am well aware that the Rogue instruments need a set-up before they can even be played. I've already set up three of their mandolins, which includes a fret leveling, crowning, dressing and polishing, as well as saddle/bridge adjustments/replacements, nut adjustments, real strings, working the tuning machines, etc., and I really do enjoy doing that stuff, so that's not a problem.

So, since the search of Rogue sopranos on this site didn't give me the answers I was looking for, I was hoping for the insight of all of you who have them, had them, or played them.

Thanks,
Dan

I have yet to hear a Rogue that sounds or plays decent.
Many of my students buy them or the Hilos. At $25 or $30 the price is good, but the tuners seldom hold and the intonation is usually way off.
I understand what you are saying about wood and not wanting a painted uke, like a Dolphin.
I use a a Dolphin for my $30 go anywhere uke. For not much more you can get a Kala or Makala soprano with decent tuners and have a wood ukulele.
Of course you can always go the used route as well, I have seen some nice $75-$100 ukes go for $30 or less.

I have a Rogue sop as my travel uke, I'm a pilot and wanted one I didn't have to worry about throwing in my flight bag or suitcase. After a bit of set up and a set of Aquila's it's perfect for what I wanted. Yes the intonation isn't perfect but it plays ok and I don't worry about it in the baggage compartment. I haven't had any trouble with the tuners on mine after the initial tune-up/tightening. I got mine on MMStans recommendation and am very happy with it, if you can do your own set up they are good/cheap ukes. But I do agree with Sailinguke the Dolphin's are an all around better instrument.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks all. I definitely do understand that there are much better ukes out there, and for a bang around uke, I'd like to stay in the $20 to $30 range. I do see that there are some decent ones in the $40 that will fit the bill too, but no matter which one I purchase, I'm going to mess with it and spend some additional money on it. Probably at least on nut, saddle and strings. I have a whole bunch of geared tuning machines from other instruments that I would install if the friction tuners are junk, so that's an expense I don't have to worry about.

Ukuleleblues, I actually have built a Grizzly kit, but gave it to my mom as she loved it. I am eventually going to get another one, but I'm tearing the top off of it and putting a solid spruce top on it, along with a bloodwood fingerboard and bridge. Of course, after I do all that work to it, I doubt I'd keep it as a knock-around uke :)

Strumsilly, I got your PM, and responded to it.

Thanks again all,
Dan

I've never played a Rogue uke, but their mandolins are... not good.

Makala make other ukes apart from Dolphins and to the same or higher standard. For a beater I would (and do) go Makala every time. YMMV.

I’ve had two Rogue sopranos. I liked both of them. Thing is ya gotta know they are for taking them someplace you wouldn’t want to take your good uke. I take mine on motorcycle trips for days. I don’t worry about humidity or if it rains and the uke might somehow get wet. ex... I paid 24.00 . Put some Aquilas on it and it sounds good enough for what it is. I tell people that are thinking about taking up ukulele to buy a Rogue and try it.
Just my experience.
Dan

I have two rogue sopranos and two rogue Baritones...love them both the death and they are awesome players if you do your own set ups..and slap some martins strings on...no tuner issues
I had...bought over a dozen for family and friends gifts....maybe 1 0r 2 was bad...the rest are a dream...It's always next to my computer and bed...I have many ukes , some um premimum and
um some customs...I still enjoy my rogue soprano....a little hint... it's in the tuning, to get them sounding awesome....Good Luck, Happy Strummings...MM Stan

So after reading this thread I thought Id buy another Rogue for a beater. Musicians friend and it was 24.00. It came with a gig bag that I didn’t expect. This is my third Rogue and this time not so good.
It came with glue gobbled all over it. On the side of the fret board it had so much glue that thought it may have been repaired. The top of the frets had glue on it and over all not the quality of the last two.

So I cleaned up the frets and fret board. Put some Martin strings on it and it plays a lot better. I will probably work on the frets and fret board more later but for now its O.K.
I feel bad because I posted good experiences with Rogue in the past. This time I feel lucky to know how to set up a uke or it would be a bad uke.

Dano

Aloha Dano,
I remember 2 years ago when the quality was good on most of their ukes...I quess quality control may have slipped...well it gives you a chance to work and learn setups...I'd lower the saddle
and nut if needed...you'll see the playability and intonation improve greatly..for 24.99 you can learn alot from setups....it's worth it to me..I Know you can send it back for exchange too..I found out from my last one...that the really untouched ones come in a plastic bag in the box... Glad you got it sounding better.

Thanks Stan,
Ive got some experence in building . Started out with Stew mac then Hana Lama. Did a few of my own but like to have one for the bike trips that I dont have to worry about.
For someone new to ukes this one would not have been good. For me after clean up it will be fine. Good to know about the bag thing.
Your very right about a good way to learn setups and such.

Hope this didnt jack the thread.

Dano

Top Bottom