Tuning

Reaction score
Hey guys..just picked up my Uke today at sam ash..its an oscar schmidt..is it any good? it was only 60 bucks..i plan on getting a better one sometime in the future. well my question is ..why does my uke always get out of tune? i play a couple of songs then all of a sudden it doesnt sound rite and i have to tune it back..any suggestions ?

Uke out of tune

I have found this with new ukes or newly strung ukes. They do settle down after a week or so of playing. I have a cheap uke where the string tension means it goes out of tune easily, so I have tuned it to D rather than C and that has helped.

If you have friction tuning pegs rather than the geared ones you may have to tighten the small screws running through the pegs to ensure that they do not slip out of tune.

I would guess that the stock strings are not put on right. Most of the time companies (especially ones like Schmidt) just feed the string through the peg and wind it up. If this is the case you can keep tuning all you want, but it will slip again and again. To see if this is the case for your ukulele, look at the tuning peg - the string will go through the hole in the peg and just wind under the string coming out of the hole over and over. To fix this you will need to get some new strings (I suggest Worths) and put them on right

Here's how: http://liveukulele.com/lessons/changing-strings/

and

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/02/18/uke-minutes-5-how-to-re-string-your-ukulele/

Good luck!,

I'm by no means knowledgeable about this, but I think my flea is getting out of tune because the screws are too loose. Just a light bump would even twist the peg a little. I need to find a little screwdriver and see if tightening them helps. So maybe that is an issue with your oscar?

It's beacuse Ukes have Nylon Strings and they stretch alot when new. It can drive you nuts, just keep tuning it up they will finally stabilize.

I am assuming you have geared tuners on the Oscar (the tuning keys are at right angles to the post the strings are wound on), if you had Peg tuners (The keys are in line with the posts) you could also have loose tuners, but with geared tuners it's just string stretch. Sometimes you can't even get throug 1/2 of a song without them stretching out of tune.

Are you just starting to play or are you a transplanted Guitar player?

425706813_4a368c7e1d.jpg

Why???

Top Bottom