Completely unintentional NUD

bynapkinart

Reaction score
Why is it so easy to enjoy playing even the cheapest ukes?

I went into the music store to buy guitar strings and a Tusq nut for my Lanikai, and left the store with a Makala soprano. I don't get it.

First of all, the store had plenty of ukes...so of course I played a few. I actually enjoyed the Makala Dolphin they had, as well as a couple of the Ukeadelics (even though the paisley designs they had weren't really for me). They had a Lanikai pineapple which I actually considered buying, but the intonation was even worse than my tenor and it still had the bad nut problem.

Then there were a couple of sopranos that I spied tucked away in the corner, a Kala and this Makala. I played both and really enjoyed both of them, but ended up with the Makala because the strings were spaced a tad wider and the intonation was better. Strangely enough, the Makala seemed like the better built uke out of the two.

Walked out with the uke and a fresh pack of Aquilas for less than $50 total. My music corner is becoming pretty obscene:

P8290047.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Doc! That's a Cort NTL20. Hands down one of the best acoustics I've played...the balance is really pretty superb, with a really deep dark low end and clear highs. I'd highly recommend, but I don't know if they make them anymore...

Thanks Doc! That's a Cort NTL20. Hands down one of the best acoustics I've played...the balance is really pretty superb, with a really deep dark low end and clear highs. I'd highly recommend, but I don't know if they make them anymore...

From the headstock, that looks similar to the "Parkwood" line of guitars that Guitar Center is selling as their "house brand" (I have the grand auditorium body).

I wouldn't be surprised if they made them in the same factory. However, the build quality on the Cort (and all of the Cort acoustics I've played) is top notch. I played a Martin yesterday that had more sloppy glue and offset bracing than I've ever seen in a Cort, and it was even a MIA Martin! I don't know what it is that keeps Cort down, maybe its that they market themselves as cheap...but the quality on most Corts suggests a much higher price tag.

The Hamer electric next to it might get sold tomorrow, to finance a KoAloha...I might have to post in a separate thread to get opinions!

Top Bottom