Custom Kraft

Marcy325

Reaction score
Soon to come into the possesion of a vintage refurbished Custom Kraft baritone (about 60 years old). I've seen and heard some Custom Kraft electric guitars and they sound pretty good. I don't think they make ukuleles any more, though. Does anyone know anything about this brand's ukulele history? If you think the brand stinks, kindly keep it a secret, okay?

I acquired Kustom Kraft Baritone this past year and it's a very nice USA made ukulele. Great for all around playing and basic noodling. Mine is black and I bought it because the seller had recently taken it to luthier for a neck reset which, IMO, probably cost more than what I paid for the instrument. I'm pretty sure mine is birch and I believe that there is some connection to the Kay company.

If yours is the one that recently sold on Ebay, you got a good deal. It looks to be in very nice shape. I can tell you that the tuners (which are low-cost imports) are not original. The ukulele originally shipped with medium quality friction tuners.

Enjoy your new ukulele!

Thanks, Mike. Yes, I got it on ebay from a guy who "adopts" broken down old ukes. He cleaned it up, put on new strings, glossed it, and put on new sealed tuners. I think I can't go too wrong for the $125 he asked. Looked like spruce on top, which he agreed. He wasn't sure what the back and sides are, thinks since it's American -made (which I like for a change) they might be spruce, too. Thinks maple on the neck based on weight. Anyway, I trusted him, said it's smooth, well-made, sounds nice now. It's better than spending less than $100 for something new that you know won't sound great. I did that on the first baritone I bought. And he included a new case free. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom