What is it about sopranos?

bynapkinart

Reaction score
Every single soprano I've ever picked up (save for the ones that aren't very playable) sound better and are more fun than any other uke I try. I don't know if its just the size and the volume, or the percussive strum sound they make, but I just love playing sopranos so much. I know that a lot of people like them because they have the "traditional" uke sound, but I think its a perfect sound for an instrument in a group setting and it mixes well with vocals.

Is it strange to prefer soprano to tenor these days? I don't know what it is, but I haven't heard a single tenor that I absolutely love. I'd probably have to have a concert in the stable to add versatility, but I kind of just want to call it a day and load up on great sopranos.

Anyone prefer sopranos to most other ukes? If so, do any of you run a pretty much soprano-only ship, and how does it work out for you performance wise?

As you can see by my sig. I have a preference for sopranos. Being a converted guitar player I have a tenor and I concert I primarily use to figure out guitar pieces for adapting to the uke because of fret spacing. I end up finishing them on the soprano. I just like the tone of the sopranos and hope to collect more in varying woods for varying tones. I also have come to like the full tone of a pineapple soprano. I plan to add a mango pineapple and an acacia pineapple to the fold before too long.

I'm with you---soprano ukuleles forever! Concert and tenor ukuleles don't have enough plink for me, I guess.

That being said, I do have one non-soprano. My "Singing" Treholipee is somewhere between a tenor and a baritone in scale. But I bought the Treholipee because of its aesthetic strangeness and historical oddness---and because it was cheap---not for its sound. (But it sounds better than you might think.)

Oops, I got distracted. Hurray for soprano ukuleles!!!!

Yes. I have one concert (a Kamaka) and I like that for variety, but I'm soprano through and through.

After trying every other size but Ubass I ended up preferring sopranos. I don't think it's a "sounds better, period" matter, but a "sounds better to me when I play it!" thing.

I love to listen to any uke anybody wants to play...but when I play it's a soprano.

Only sopranos provide that sound that made me into ukuleles.

Anyone prefer sopranos to most other ukes? If so, do any of you run a pretty much soprano-only ship, and how does it work out for you performance wise?

I run a soprano-only ship, although it's more of a tug boat.

They're perfect for me, but maybe it's just my small hands.... :eek:

I love sopranos. I briefly owned a tenor.. but I find that re-entrant tuning is best accommodated by the soprano scale. Chord shapes are easier to form, there's less travel between frets, and I enjoy the challenge that it lends to difficult solo pieces.

I already play guitar, and I have for quite some time... so the main reason I decided to pick up the ukulele was for it's portability and distinct contrast in size and sound. Sopranos look downright miniature next to a full-sized dreadnought guitar.

I also love the superior treble response that a standard gives, the small body lends well to a group setting by easily cutting through the mix.

Soprano ukuleles are the only ukes for me, I guess. That's what I learned to play as a kid, and I have never played an instrument that goes so well with my singing. Being a professional pianist, I sincerely think the soprano uke is better self-accompaniment for singing...and guitar, well; I just won't play one ever again!!
I also have an old banjo ukulele, soprano size, which I also like. But nothing - NOTHING - beats the standard soprano.
It's a love affair.

I favor sopranos as well. It's stunning, when you play a good one, to hear so much pop come out of such a small box. I also have a concert, like Thom, a Kamaka. It's wonderfully Hawaiian sounding and I play it often. But when I want to play that 20's and 30's stuff, it's always a soprano that I reach for. I don't even own a tenor.

Me too . Only sopranos for me. I have one concert size uke but barely play it.

It's a soprano voice, singing high. It's unique tuning seems to bring out the best in wood. Look at the amount of discussion we have about the wood type.

Besides, there never was a TV show called the Baritones

Last edited:
You can see from my sig that I own a Baritone and a Tenor
size,but I also own FOUR sopranos and a soprano scale B/U
so that must say something? I love ukuleles in any form but
soprano has that magical 'something' about it!

Besides my banjo ukes, I prefer tenor ukuleles over the other sizes. Sometimes I just need more than the plinky traditional sound.

Sopranos and a few concerts for me. Me 'n' sopranos are the best fit. Plus, while my wrist still heals, it's definitely the best scale for me to be working.
The sound is definitely more what I seek too, the joyousness, the undeniable ukeness. Some of the tenor players out there recording are creating pieces that aren't far enough removed from a guitar sound for me.

Is it strange to prefer soprano to tenor these days?
No stranger than believing in UFOs, creationism, fairies, angels or the good intentions of federal politicians.

But no, I don't prefer sopranos personally, although I appreciate them from afar, sort of like the valleys on Mars: beautiful but distant. Here tenors and baritones hold sway.

I've already confessed my preference for the long-neck (concert-scale) soprano earlier.

I'm a 'soprano' guy, but I do enjoy the concert scale. the concert size itself is a bit large
for my tastes although I would not mind getting a Kala Tavel Concert. (or a Concert Risa Solid!)

I do enjoy the soprano sound and the go to ukes have been the Applause and Kala Travel
sopranos.

keep uke'in' everybody,

I am trying to love my two concerts, but I confess, I really like the sopranos better - even the Dolphin sounds better to me!

Yup soprano guy here. I love the classic tone. The only concert I've ever owned is selling as i type.

"Oh, it sounds absolutely wonderful,
And marvelous and beautiful,
And anyone can understand why;
I’m leaning on a lamp-post at the corner of the street,
In case a certain little 'SOPRANO' passes by!"

Top Bottom