How Long do Strings Last?

FlyedPiper

Reaction score
Just slapped some aquilas on my Makala tenor. Sounds way brighter and TONS of sustain, almost guitar-like...

My question is- how long do strings generally last on a uke before they need to be replaced? Also, how long does it take before strings are "broken in" and at their peak resonance? I've heard it takes a few weeks- is that true?

Thanks!

Just slapped some aquilas on my Makala tenor. Sounds way brighter and TONS of sustain, almost guitar-like...My question is- how long do strings generally last on a uke before they need to be replaced?
There really is no specific answer. How often and how long you play, when strings continuously require tuning or really dead, or just wanna try some different strongs are some reasons to change them. As far as duration, the Pros will change them after a couple of gigs. Others may change them in 2-3 months, every 6 months, or annually.
Also, how long does it take before strings are "broken in" and at their peak resonance? I've heard it takes a few weeks- is that true?
Thanks!
My experience is strings take approx 5-7 days to settle depending on the type of string. YMMV!

Last edited:
The best advice I have heard is that you run your finger under them and if you can feel the frets imprint, it is time to change them. Like Kanaka said, depending on how much you play it can be anywhere from 2 months to one years for some peeps.

For me personally, I have to change my Aquilas after approx 120 hours of play. After this I start to get some buzz.

How long do strings last... Such a question because I have changed strings because... I wanted to try new strings. I have yet to find that strings "needed" to be changed. My friend has been playing her one uke exclusively for one year and is just now getting ready to change them. I just felt the bottom of my strings, and yeah, I can feel where the frets have made them rough on the underside but they still sound good and stay in tune. I am waiting because I am happy with the type of strings I currently have and will replace them with the same strings so I am having my own personal experiment to see how long before I find I need to change them. I probably average an hours play a day per instrument and I am probably a fairly moderate player as far as how hard I am jamming on the uke.

To me, depends on how much play time the strings get. I look about 6 months to a year for changing, or sooner if I want to try a different set.

My question is- how long do strings generally last on a uke before they need to be replaced?

57 days, 8 hours, 23 minutes, 5 seconds

Or whenever you feel they need to be changed.

My standard answer to anyone asking this is:
'How Long Is A Piece of.....'?

As others have said, it depends.
Assuming the same brand and string.
When you put new strings on you usually notice a change in the voice of the ukulele.
If it is a BIG change, you may have waited to long. When I change strings I write the date on the package and store it in the case.
I probably average 3 to 6 months on a set. Strings are not very expensive, fresh strings sound and feel good.

Its kind of like tires! How much do you drive them. What kind of driving. Do you change them when they look close or do you go til bald. Its like that.:eek:

As others have pointed out there are way too many variables for a simple answer.

I use fingernails a lot and I can pretty much destroy Aquillas in three weeks on my main axe. Fluorocarbon strings seem to last almost forever - and I like the sound of them better anyway on most ukes.

John

When you put new strings on you usually notice a change in the voice of the ukulele.
If it is a BIG change, you may have waited to long. When I change strings I write the date on the package and store it in the case.
Yeah, the degradation of the string tone is so gradual you're not going to notice it on a day-to-day basis. But sometimes when you put all new strings on, the change is really obvious and you find yourself with an AHA! moment and wish you hadn't waited so long. :)

I do the same thing with the string packs when I change them.

i played aquilas on my luna for a little over a year before i changed them. im not really sure but when i thought about it i think it lost a little volume. i changed them because i wanted something new, not because i really needed to. and i played A LOT. probably everyday for like 2 or 3 months i would play something with a really fast strumming part.

Sounds... almost guitar-like???

Blasphemy! :)

Thanks for the input. Sort of gives me a timeframe... but not really LOL. I think I'll see how they sound in 6 months or so. I will be playing the Makala a lot less I'm sure once I get my Mainland. Eventually....sigh.

I think I'll see how they sound in 6 months or so. I will be playing the Makala a lot less I'm sure once I get my Mainland. Eventually....sigh.
Now, this remark made me think of something...

When you have more than one uke (and many of us do), and you spread your playing time around between them, then maybe you don't need to change strings as often as if you have only one daily player.

Makes sense.

I find myself less inclined to play lately, only because previously I had a loaner Oscar Schmidt concert that was WAY more fun to play. That Makala is killing my fingers and is just too loud to play at night (which is when I usually practice). So those strings should last a good long time:rolleyes:.

That still gets me, after all these years. You're at that "Eh, maybe I'll change them, but they don't sound bad" mindset. But when you do it, you're more shocked that you waited so long.

At least with uke strings, if I want to change a set out early to explore more tonal options, I'm only out a couple of bucks (can't do that with my six string electric bass).

Top Bottom