Luna High Tide tenor ovankol electric cutaway

Markr1

Reaction score
I'm wanting some info on this uke. Is it solid or laminated? I want to buy this for my 25 year old boy In the army that's stationed at fort Leonardwood mo. He is a staff Sargent and drill instructor. I want to get him something cool and think this would be it. Anyone have any good info on them? If anyone had one for sale in really good condition I would be interested in a used one. I think they sell new for $299 for the tenor. I hope someone here has a good one they want to sell. Solid wood or Laminated? Thanks.
Mark

The tenor is solid, but the concert is laminate koa. In my opinion, the koa looks better, but the solid would make for better sound.

The tenor is solid, but the concert is laminate koa. In my opinion, the koa looks better, but the solid would make for better sound.
actually the high tide is laminate, both tenor and concert. luna doesnt make any solid wood ukuleles.
you could get a solid wood ukulele from mainland for a little under 300 which will sound better than a laminate, but if you choose to get a pickup installed it will cost about $120 extra... check them out at mainlandukuleles.com
luna makes pretty good ukuleles though, theyre nice for beginners to start out on :)

Yup, Luna are all laminates.
They're not particularly loud ukes, but everything else is spot on.
The action, intonation, electronics (when applicable) and overall quality.

I have the High Tide Tenor and really like it. I'm very new to the ukulele but I think it has a lovely sound and was really great when I plugged it into my Roland Microcube amp. Since your son is in the army he may be moving around a bit and it might be a good idea to get him a laminate since they aren't as sensitive to humidity changes and temperature.

Nix

Thanks guys for the help. I'm going to checkout the mainlands. I would like a solid wood for him. He's actually getting out of the army after next July. That will be the end of his 7th year of being in there. I think it's taken it's toll on him and he's just ready for it to be over.

I just got a High Tide Tenor, and it looks solid to me -- the grain is exactly the same on the inside as it is on the outside, but unfinished. I know the website is unspecific, but because I can see the same grain pattern inside and outside, and I can't see "sandwich lines" in the sound hole, I think it's solid.It's Ovangkol, which is a wood I wasn't familiar with. It's pretty mellow to my ears and sounds great picked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom