Worth Clear vs Aquila String Comparison

Noobie

Reaction score
This is the second part of my string comparison, the first part being here.

For this comparison, I used a Kala KA-KC which was strung with Aquila Nylguts. These particular strings were only a couple months old, so they still had plenty of life left in them. I used the same recording rig and settings as before.

Kala Aquila Nylguts: http://cl.ly/1s2D1S1s053p0r1U2a1r

Next I strung up the Kala with some Worth Clear CM strings. These strings were on the instrument for 3 days when I recorded this and still haven't quite settled in, but I tuned up immediately before I started recording.

Kala Worth Clear CM: http://cl.ly/3j2y1B3s343J1b21150w

One thing I noted was the sustain on the Worth's compared to the Aquilas—on the last note it rang almost twice as long (although this is subjective since I can't guarantee I used the same amount of force!).

The Worth's overall seem a bit brighter to me then the Aquilas, and seem to ring better when first struck. Once gain, take a listen and make your own determination.

Thanks again~ these are the two strings I am most interested in. I need to play a soprano (arthritis), and I'm looking for tone and sustain. My Mainland Mango is arriving tomorrow (!!!) with aquilas, and if for any reason I'm unhappy with the sustain, I will definitely try Worth clears. Nice playing, BTW!

Last edited:
They're both good strings, but I think they excel on different instruments. Aquilas sound great on my Mainland mahogany concert, but shrill and cheap on my mahogany soprano. I think in general, Aquilas will sound more plinky/percussive, and the Worths (and other fluorocarbon strings) will give you more of a harplike or classical guitar-type tone.

I had a good experience with Southcoast strings as well- they seemed a bit brighter than Worth Clears, and noticeably more balanced.

I've found, in my limited experience, that Aquila's sound nicer on soprano models and brighter concerts (I have a Mainland mahogany soprano, a banjolele soprano and a maple Samich concert) than they do on warmer concerts and generally any tenor model - for those I have Worth Clear's.

I've found, in my limited experience, that Aquila's sound nicer on soprano models and brighter concerts (I have a Mainland mahogany soprano, a banjolele soprano and a maple Samich concert) than they do on warmer concerts and generally any tenor model - for those I have Worth Clear's.

I haven't tried the Worth clear so will listen carefully to the review... thanks for posting.

I have tried Aquila Nylgut, Aquila Natural (real) gut, and Worth Browns on my Martin Style 1.

The Aquilas were loud and sweet, but a bit twangy
The real gut strings were absolutely amazing - but took almost two weeks to settle in, and started sounding "dead" after only about a month.
The Worth Browns are not quite as loud as either of the Aquilas, but they are still loud, and have amazing clarity and sustain. I'll be keeping them on and buying more.

I agree with what a couple of others have pointed out, it sounds like there's likely a big difference in how these same strings perform on a tenor versus a concert. Anyone else feel like doing some similar tests?

i've had the most experience with aquila nylguts on a lanikai spruce top tenor and on a mitchell spruce concert. the lanikai came with 'em and i put themon the mitchell and tossed the kala reds. i liked what i heard.

but i have a koaloha tenor that has freemont blacklines that i'm thinking of switching out. i've thought about aquila nylgut, but i've had a lot of ppl tell me to try the worth clear.

does anyone know if they worth clear come in different tensions? i've heard that and wonder what's the difference.

i really like the feel of the aquila nylgut--whatever tension they may be. so i'd like to get something in worth clear that is similar in feel.

Top Bottom