Crazy for Cedar and Koa - new ukes!

marymac

Reaction score
Ok in the past month I've acquired two new ukes, both koa back and sides with a cedar top. Other than that, they're pretty different ukes!

The first is a Michael Dunn Maccaferri D-hole uke. RichM told me that Michael doesn't make these any more which is a shame because this is really a beauty. It sounds great too! I have it strung with Worth Brown low-G so it sounds lovely and rich.

Uke number two is a 2003 Black Bear by Duane Heilman. The inlay on this is glorious and the uke was lovingly cared for by Rev. Dr. Kate (UU: revdrkate) since it was first made. In addition to its beauty it's got an accumulation of good karma from Kate playing it at hospices and senior homes for years. I'm nowhere near as good a player as the Rev but I intend to enjoy the uke just as much. She has it strung with Worth Clear high-Gs and it sounds great with these.

Enjoy the pics! - Mary

i-n7cVC8b-XL.jpg

i-XsFvqBb-XL.jpg

i-H3R8CBk-XL.jpg

i-9wXZCHv-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my!! Those may be the most beautiful ukes I have ever seen. The body shape on the D-hole is quite striking, would love to hear a sound sample if you have any handy. Til then I am content to drool over the photos!!

I'm getting set up to record some (basic) samples this week. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have video and audio to post. Glad you like them!

Hey Mary!

Gorgeous ukes! I have a background in professional photography and the photo work is really impressive. Can I ask about your shooting setup?

Thanks,

I lost an ebay face-off with Mary on that Michael Dunn. Mary, I'm sure if the ebay seller had posted wonderful photos like that, he may have actually got some bids! You know my offer stands... the moment you get tired of it, give me a buzz and I'll take it off your hands :)

Oh, and I should probably clarify-- I contacted Michael when I saw this uke up on ebay, and he told me he hadn't made any ukes in several years. I imagine he might be open to a custom order if someone really wanted one. And he still makes the most gorgeous guitars you can imagine... and is a fantastic player, as well.

Last edited:
Congrats, Mary! Ditto on everything
Trinimon posted. Looking forward to video and audio.

I'll take the Black Bear off of your hands anytime.:)

Last edited:
Mary, two great looking ukes and beautiful photography to boot! Congrtats! You are amassing quite a collection. :)

Good lord both of those instruments look great. The Black Bear is the kind of uke I've always wanted in aesthetics, and I'm sure it's absolutely wonderful sounding as well.

Wow....two awesome looking ukes!!! Looking forward to hearing the sound samples!
BTW...excellent pictures, thanks!!

Wow, that Maccaferri looks incredible! The bear looks sweet too, I'm kind of interested in hearing what spruce and koa sound like together.

Hey Mary!

Gorgeous ukes! I have a background in professional photography and the photo work is really impressive. Can I ask about your shooting setup?

Thanks,

Hi Mike - I do my photography in my messy basement so it's not some pristine photo studio! I use an SLR (Canon 40D) on a tripod for shooting, then I have a large sheet of photo paper (probably 6' wide by 8' long) draped over a table and clamped to some shelves. The paper creates that "infinite horizon" look. For lighting I have two of the cheapest light stands they had at the local photo store but I did add a couple expensive bulbs (fluorescent daylight 500W bulbs). Worked just as well when I had cheaper incandescent bulbs in them but it did give everything a yellowish cast.

Anyway, that's it: camera, tripod, paper, two lights. 30 minutes to shoot these two ukes.

Hope that helps! - Mary

Beautiful. And the D-hole has a floating bridge which - I think - is rare.

The floating bridge is great for adjusting intonation. The only negatives are that it's easy to move accidentally when wiping off the body, and the longer length made it tricky to string the A string without snapping it. Finally got it on though and the sound is worth it.

Wow, that Michael Dunn uke looks fantastic! Quite a big/deep body on it.

The size of the body is definitely striking, especially sitting next to a "normal" sized tenor. It really gives it a resonance that I can't duplicate without going to a baritone.

Top Bottom