I Need Your Opinions

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals,

I received my Kala travel tenor today. Understanding it is not a high end uke, I still seen a tiny gap on the neck that concerned me. I will not yet mention the dealer as I want to give them a chance to rectify before I say anything publicly.

It was very hard to get contact them right out of the gate after the order and shipping was slow as well. I am going on a trip and don't have the time or patience to go through three weeks of shipping this one back and waiting on another. I have asked for a $30.00 refund, putting the uke around b-stock price.

Visually it does not bother me at all. My question is do you folks think this will cause any kinds of issues or damage over time?

Photo attached and I truly appreciate any and all input.neckcrack.jpg

Personally I don't think it is really a problem. Looks like a spot where either the fretboard wasn't clamped quite tight while glueing to the neck or, more likely, there was just a small patch where the glue didn't cover. As long as the fretboard is firm and level and you don't see other patches like that then, if it were mine, I'd probably just fill it.

Not the tidiest job to slip through QC though.

Actually, I'm going to move this to the Builder/Luthier section in the hope that some of our experienced members can give better informed advice. Listen to them, not to me.

Ladies and gentlemen, please can you help?

Last edited:
Thank you Buddhuu. Like I said it don't bother me at all visually, I was just wondering long term effects. I am a bit surprised Kala let that get out of the factory. Any suggestions on how and what to fill it with? I thought about titebond but it is so small I am not sure what I could use to get the glue in there.

Hi

When they glued the fingerboard to the neck, a rubber band broke (!) and the two pieces didn't get clamped together well. It's easy to miss, especially on a mass-produced ukuleles.

I believe the glue is already stable and the fingerboard is secure. The only possible problem is the action. The neck is probably flat so the fingerboard may have a hump where it lifts. When you try to lower the action, the hump gets in a way and there's only so much you can lower. The transmission of vibration may be hampered and your ukulele may not sound as good as it should be, when fretted over this area. I don't think the glue will separate in future - what's been done is done.

It is actually complicated to repair this one. There is enough glue in these so the woods are adhered. Squirting additional glue does not help. You will have to remove the fingerboard and reglue the whole thing. A big repair job, costing probably $100.

If you do not see the high action or sound does not suffer too much from this, I would just keep the ukulele. Considering the price ($200?), it is not worth the trouble to send it back. Maybe you can call and ask for a partial refund. If you plan to take it on road (travel ukulele, right), you just use it as it's meant to be with dings and bumps and warts.

Cheers
Chief

Top Bottom