Resonator Project

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I've started the prototype tenor resolele. As usual with my prototyping I don't make the molds and jigs before I have ironed out all the problems so this is a 'free' build.

I initially intended to laminate the sides but the vacuum bag setup isn't good enough so I laminated the back and front - .6mm birdseye maple face with plain balancer veneer over a 2.5mm aero-grade ply.The sides are 2.1mm thick birdseye - hand bent very easily. Here's the body waiting for its tortoise binding - the production will be black but this prototype has a rosewood fingerboard:

ResoBody.jpg

I've machined the ply well from 17mm enginering grade birch ply. The well wall is 1/4" thick and 14mm deep - I know but I am bi-lingual with measurement... You can just see the solid koa linings to make the sides really stiff. End and neck blocks are ply also.

ResoWell.jpg

It has a single sound port - necessary because the well has no port holes. Making this is fun using a template and a precision shaped sanding stick:

ResoPort.jpg

Last edited:
Subscribed! I've been waiting for this one...

Looks great already!

S.

I remember you doing a concert with this design Pete.. "Resouke" I think you called it..:)

Standard bolt on neck. However the well will be 'stressed' with 'mushrooms'... queue humour from Chuck or ken please :)

Headstock bound with tortoise...

ResoHead.jpg

And the front and back bound with same....

ResoBinding.jpg

So the moment of truth arrives and I stringit up with an old DRC 'low' cone and it's great except.... I have put a concert fingerboard on the thing and the first harmonic is at the 13th fret - pointed out by my student no less!!!!! Oh well. just make another neck and this will give me opportunity to black/white line the headstock. No problem - I now have a 14 fret concert laminated neck - alder/walnut/alder which is for sale...

So the moment of truth arrives and I stringit up with an old DRC 'low' cone and it's great except.... I have put a concert fingerboard on the thing and the first harmonic is at the 13th fret - pointed out by my student no less!!!!! Oh well. just make another neck and this will give me opportunity to black/white line the headstock. No problem - I now have a 14 fret concert laminated neck - alder/walnut/alder which is for sale...

Why did you make it from birch ply as opposed to solid wood?
S.

That neck is beautiful! For sale you say? I bet I could make a gorgeous Cigar Box ukulele with that neck! If I were a luthier, that is. Sigh. So many ideas, so little talent.

Resonators are made of ply... ply implies low grade. However the ply used was aero grade which is very high grade and very expensive

I've been watching this with interest as my main instrument is sq neck resonator. Gibson owns the Dobro name so we can't call them Dobros anymore. There are a handful of builders that are making really nice rezos from high quality ply. Paul Beard makes the Mike Auldridge signature model, a very nice instrument often called the grand piano of resonator guitars along with Ivan Guernsey who makes very nice, high end rezos as well. Looking great and can't wait to hear it.

Surely they don't have to be made out of ply?
I think the idea these resonator guys have is that they want to build a very stable platform for the cone and that the ply does the job. Basically a speaker box that can be "tuned" with the cone pushing.
Here's a link to the Paul Beard Website. The Mike Auldridge Signature Model goes for $3700.00 I believe and comes in a tuxedo black or cherry burst

http://beardguitars.com/guitarbeardMA6square.html

Top Bottom