Alaskan Yellow Cedar as a back & side wood

pulelehua

Reaction score
Anyone seen, heard or built a ukulele with Alaskan Yellow Cedar (cypress, really) as a back & side wood? I saw something here http://www.petrosguitars.com/woods.htm about it being used as such for guitars.

I was wondering what it would be like. Seems intriguing, but there may be some reason to not use it.

Thanks in advance.

I have built an arch top uke out of Alaska yellow cedar. It sounded very nice. I also use it for linings and can tell you it bends very easily. I can bend solid linings up to 5/32" thick. The biggest drawback that I can think of is durability, AYC is very light and soft and dents easily.

Brad

Thanks, Brad. When I'm in a position to afford another custom (the late 21st century with current progress), I'll be looking for a light, loud ukulele. Not masses of sustain. Decent overtones, but not too soggy. A really wide dynamic range. Something with some punch. Just trying to research makers and wood combinations.

At the moment, I'm leaning Mahogany/Western Red Cedar, but I'm looking to learn more. Or unlearn more, as the case may be. ;)

Top Bottom