Help identifying and valuing a uke, Hohner HU26?

johng650

Reaction score
I bought this ukulele at a flea market for $40. Had to put another $50 into it for repairs. I like it fine, it was great to learn on. However I live on a sailboat am going to have to put this one up for sale to make room for the new ukulele I just bought (space on the boat is a constant battle).

The question is, what do I say about it and what to I ask for it?

The only picture I've found on the internet suggests it's a Hohner HU26. But I have no idea how much they went for originally or when it was made.

Does anyone recognize it? Does anyone have an idea what I might reasonably get for it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1710_small.jpg
    IMG_1710_small.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1711_small.jpg
    IMG_1711_small.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 46
Looking into the history for Paradise Ukes, it seems that they've been in business since 1974.

However, there is/was another store called 'Music Mac' in Hawaii with a currently defunct web page. (archive link) The earliest reference I can find for them on the Internet is 1985.

The fact that it's got a little clean white sticky label with a ballpoint-pen written 'C300' would seem to me that it can't be that old at any rate. It is really nice looking though. How does it sound?

It sound's pretty darned good for a $40 ukulele (the $50 for repair was to re-glue the bridge and put a backing plate on a crack in the solid spruce top).

As far as tonal quality, I think it's a little bright, not having as much low resonance as my new uke (a Kala spruce top concert). The tone gets a little deeper if I hold it away from my body, but when I do that it'n not like it sound's better. I'm not good enough yet to compensate for the lack of stability.

Sure is a pretty shape...unfortunately I know nothing about it, but list it for what it is worth to you and see if it goes that way.

This is a very inexpensive uke and you have way more into it then it is worth. If someone were to bring this uke into my shop and ask what it is worth, I would have to tell them about $30 in the real world. This is made for the tourist trade. I hate to be so blunt but the truth sometimes ain't pretty. If you like it, that is all that matters.

Huh, the Luthier that repaired it seemed to think it was worth at least the $40 that I paid for it. In fact he seemed to think $100 wouldn't be too far out. Of course he could have been trying to make me feel good about paying him $50 to repair a tourist ukulele I suppose.

I didn't say anything about its construction on purpose, because I was hoping someone would have some definitive information about it. However, it does have a solid spruce top, the body is laminated mahogany, according to the Luthier that repaired it it has radial tone bars under the bridge rather then just lateral bars (his words IIRC, I have no idea) and the fret board and bridge appear to be rosewood.

No biggy either way. You see, I'm in Mazatlan, Mexico and if I sell it it will probably be to a local as a novelty or a gringo who's looking for something new to play. I just don't want to find out after the fact that I ripped someone off if I get 1200 pesos for it (the equivalent of $100 USD, basically what I've got into it). If I can't sell it, I'll hold on to it until we arrive in French Polynesia in the spring and use it as a trade or give away item (maybe I can exchange it for an 8 string uke in Tahiti !)

Top Bottom