Going To Maui

Bradford

Reaction score
I have a niece that is getting married in Maui next week. I am looking forward to checking out the ukulele scene while I'm there. It has been 12 years since I last visited the Islands. If anyone has any suggestions on what to catch, I'd like to hear them.

Brad

So would I! 3 times that long since I was there. My best memories were of Hana. Have a good trip Brad!

Learn how to make some flower designs for uke from Devine!! LOL J/K.

If you get a chance, stay at the Grand Wailea Hotel...beautiful

I know you play golf so the Plantation Course is where they have the season opener for the PGA. Generous fairways and greens but so much undulation it's tough to putt...Don't play in the afternoon cuz lots of wind!

Last edited:
Chuck is on the Big Island. Devine is on Maui.

Grand Wailea is nice. I worked there for three years on weekends. Worked on Kaho'olawe during the week. Bounty and Lahaina music are alright but I recommend the Mele store. People there are so great. Only problem is there is only Mele ukuleles but for me that was ok.

I highly recommend eating at Da Kitchen. Used to be one in kahului and Kihei and I believe up country (kahului one was better). Hana is nice. I used to spear fish over that side and when we last went, I took my wife and we ran over a rock. Busted our oil pan on the car and was stranded for 8 hours. It kinda sucked b/c I was only on Maui for three days and I wasn't able to visit some friends b/c of it.

anyways, good luck and have fun. sunsets are best on the west side.

I got my Kamaka soprano at Lahaina Music last winter. The people were great and left there with a huge smile on my face.

I do love Hana though (as you can tell). If you get over that way, check out the music at the Hotel Hana Maui (it is now called something else, but you can't miss it). Leokane Pryor and CJ Helekahi play there a couple of nights a week, and also play at the Shops at Wailea at least once a week, I think. They are both awesome on the uke, have great voices, and fun personalities!

If you have time for a snorkel trip, check out Captain Steve's Rafting. His boats are the rubber rafts, and he goes to a couple of sweet places that many others don't go. He also takes off from Mala Ramp instead of the crowded harbor, so the parking and everything is much easier. Too bad you won't be there when the whales are there.

Where is your niece getting married? Have a great time!!!

Have a good trip. Congrats to your niece.

I just got back!! If you are in West Maui, go to the Whalers Village and stop at the Hula Grill. They have live entertainment and really good food..a bit expensive, but the place is on the beach. If you go...Sunday nights and Monday nights from 6:30 to 9:30, Derick Sebastian plays live!! I met him during one of his breaks and he is very happy to talk story...such an awesome man!!! Great uke player as well, you can pick up his cd if you like!!!
Been to Maui 4 times, it's my favorite island....Maui no ka oi!!!
Tons of great stuff to do, just ask!!!!
Have a GREAT trip!!!!

Like mologinirum I just got back myself... All good suggestions, all I would add is stop and see Koula Gold in Lahina at 700 Front St., Mike will take care of you if you are looking for a Uke, Tell him John from MN Sent you. Another good place Mele, the are not that far from Bounty Music, Cheryl fixed me up a with a Travel Tenor in Koa last week. She seemed to be more plugged into the local music scene so if you are looking to go hear someone I would check with her.

A great place to go eat is MaMa's fish house, they are also on the Hana Hwy, if you go to Hana, it's a good place to stop on the way back for great Fish. I am fussy fish eater (ask my wife) and I have yet to eat anything there I didn't like... I am told they always have the freshest fish there...

Another great activity is Parasailing, it's fantastic, I am working on posting my video of it but it's very peaceful and fantastic sites... We skipped snorkelling this time but you can't go wrong there either.

This was my 8th trip there in the last 10 years and I look forward to going every other year, at least.... Have a great time!:cool:

Stuff to do on Maui (mostly on West Maui):

Food:
Leilani's for fish tacos (next to Hula grill)
Aloha mixed plate in Lahaina for lunch
Longi's in Lahaina for breakfast (best french toast and bacon)
Japengo at the Hyatt is an incredible sushi bar with a great view
and last but not least... The Tiki bar at the Ka'anapali beach hotel. Bartender Uncle Dale is a master of his craft and they have free live hula shows almost every night.

Music:
As mentioned before, Derick Sebastian at hula is always fun
Live jazz at the four seasons in Wailea on the weekends
And, you can usually catch some slack key up at the Ritz.
Lahaina music for ukes

Other fun stuff:
Snorkeling at Honolua bay
The aquarium. I know sounds strange, but it is awesome.
Sunrise on Haleakala
Sunset cruise on the Hula girl boat.

Lots to do here on Maui. Have a great trip.

Last time I was there was 2004. But..

There was a really cool guided 2-hour walk through a section of the rain forest, led by a unversity grad student studying the wildlife there. What we saw looked mostly undisturbed by man, and absolutely gorgeous. On the walk were lots streams, waterfalls, natural pools (in some we swam ), plant life, birds, etc. Our guide was really an expert on the local rain forest, and was able to point out so many interesting things.

Have a great time.

It's funny to read people suggesting on where to go to get a good deal for a uke. :p

For the love of all that is holy, you MUST eat at Momma's Fish House. I live in South Florida and eat fish regularly, BUT- I have NEVER eaten anything as delectable as the fish at that restaurant. It will change your life! In addition, the property the restaurant is located on is stunning. I highly recommend it. Enjoy your trip to Maui!!!! My wife was not a tremendous fan, but I loved it!

For the love of all that is holy, you MUST eat at Momma's Fish House. I live in South Florida and eat fish regularly, BUT- I have NEVER eaten anything as delectable as the fish at that restaurant. It will change your life! In addition, the property the restaurant is located on is stunning. I highly recommend it. Enjoy your trip to Maui!!!! My wife was not a tremendous fan, but I loved it!

Yeah, you have to go there man! I'm from Maui originally, born and raised, and Mama's Fish House is one of the best restaurants on the island. Plus you can go drive through Paia town and check things out there.

Actually, I'd probably live in Maui if I could afford it. It's the right sized island. Except for Hana and some remote areas, you can get anywhere from anywhere within about 45 minutes. On the Big Island, if I need a certain piece of equipment or special kind of sandpaper (or Costco) it requires a 3 1/2 drive to Kona. Maui is the perfect size. And I second Momma's Fish House (reserve early).

Ditto on Mama's Fish house. The location, the structure, the beverages....It is easily the best restaurant there.....although many others cross my mind also.

i liked hana the best; life seemed slower there. and getting there was an adventure. "up-country" was pretty nice too.

Top Bottom