Does your Uke get tucked in at night with a sheet ?

You are not crazy. You are simply infatuated. Soon, like many of us, you'll realize that you're as comfortable with your ukes as your shoes. You'll see them occasionally lounging on the sofa, sitting by your bedside, etc. Keep on bonding1

Nope.

I'm 5-6 years into my ukulele experience and enjoying it big time. But the honeymoon is over. I never wipe off my 'ukulele. Despite that, I don't notice my case getting any dirtier. But if pampering makes you happy, then go for it.

Ukes are tougher than you think, and many like them to actually show some wear from playing - it personalised them!

When you first ding or scratch your uke (and trust me, you will) you will be upset, but it's all part of life with a uke.

Nothing wrong with being obsessed, but I really don't think you need cloths inside a case. All the instrument needs is a quick wipe down then away, it will be just fine.

Just a quick wipe down and back into the case.

Oh nooooooooooooooo, my ukes live outside in the dust and the grime (I do have 50 to 65% humidity in my house). When was the last time they got wiped down? Weekly I think... That mark where the cat had a confrontation with the Black Bear still bugs me. Oh my. However they do get picked up and loved often. I guess I don't have to worry about the empty closed up case getting dirty. However if you put a clean uke in a clean case I don't' think you have to worry, just don't leave the case empty and open because if you have a cat it will pee in it and then you might as well just buy a new case.

A uke should only be in the case to go for a trip. Other than that, it needs to be out and ready to be picked up and strummed at a moments notice. :)

That said, my Mya-Moe gets a wipe down often. The others, more intermittent.

When the day is done, I put my Stromberg-Voisinet in the closet in an old pillowcase. However, I let it sit on my mini recliner in my room most of the time. I want easy playing access, babying your instruments too much leads to little playing :)

My care and feeding schedule goes something like this:

When I'm at home (and not playing), I keep it propped against the sofa safely in a corner, for easy access. I try to keep it away from the table when eating, because as much as I love my marinara, I don't think it would do much for my 'ukulele.

When I am ready to go to bed for the evening, I place it back in the padded gigbag, so the dogs don't accidentally tear it to pieces.

If I am taking it with me on a weekend or for a little roadie, I try and make the fit in the gigbag a bit more snug by adding a couple of hand-towels as neck supports, etc. (Happily, I have one of those uber-padded Orcas gigbags that come with the aNueNue, so I'm pretty confident that nothing bad will happen on a road trip)

I wipe it down with the microfiber cloth at every re-stringing, since that's the only time I can really get at the soundhole, or at the base of the bridge & fretboard.

Other than that, I just try to be sure not to do anything silly, like use it as a cricket bat, or to swat flies.

So far, so good.

I like preserving the good condition of my precious things too, go for it:)
I follow the advice I got from a UU member before a jam, always make sure my hands are clean before picking up my uke. Prior to playing he always asked where the rest room was. I thought, "nerves before a jam"? no, he washes his hands.

A uke should only be in the case to go for a trip. Other than that, it needs to be out and ready to be picked up and strummed at a moments notice. :)

That said, my Mya-Moe gets a wipe down often. The others, more intermittent.

However, a case can be good protection against accidental damage from animals or children.

My ukulele has its headstock wrapped when it goes in the case. I don't even know why I do it. If we are dog-sitting the ukulele stays in its case unless I am playing it. It actually pretty much lives in the case. Our climate is harsh -- either too dry or too humid. In the case, the humidity is much more controlled. I have a home-made humidifier in it. (Check out Spot's thread on making them). I don't take chances with my ukulele.

It probably wouldn't hurt to do a quick rubdown of the neck, but I don't do anything with my ukes. Two of them sit in gigbags and one of them gets the stand on the dresser. It rotates so everyone gets a turn being quick to grab.

Just thrown on the spare bed and a dust over every few weeks/when dust becomes noticeable for me.

There will be a time when my 'chewier' cat discovers the strings no doubt and I will have to question my method...

I would think that some of the oils from your skin might actually be good for the wood.

my ukes look like they fought in some overseas conflict. I do use lizard spit to clean the crud off the fretboard....and i will wipe them down from time to time....but they are out in the woods with me alot....I don't think my case provides much protection anymore, its all fulla sand and crap....If i ever get a uke worth more than 400 bucks i'd certainly be more careful with it, but until then....LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

JT- you are an animal. I can see seven ukes hanging on the wall from where I type, and I can make out the wear marks from strumming on three of them. There is another just sitting on a stand. The only one in a case is a 1940's Martin 3M...my least played because it is in the case. I guess I see it as "play them into sawdust and get another one". Now, I do have cases for everyone tucked into a corner, but I play three hours a day and that opening and closing was getting old. Mine are covered with dust and grime and sweat and the marks of having themselves played to death...just how I want them. I see it this way- even if a $1500 uke only last a year before I wear a hole in it (unlikely), I have spent a meager $4 a day entertaining myself. That is a lot cheaper than cable innit?

.. just don't leave the case empty and open because if you have a cat it will pee in it and then you might as well just buy a new case.

this is good advice Ive never had it happen but have heard a lot of horror stories and know critters. I myself do have a guitar case that my ferret decided was his favorite nest and is still full of fur. But you know that case never had a better use or a softer lining <3 <3 <3 :)

Top Bottom