Custom KoAloha built by Paul Okami--how it came to be

I like reading and this article is really touching my heart. A wonderful story behind a wonderful instrument.. thanks for sharing.

A wonderful story, but not a unique one. There are many stories about the big hearts of the good people at KoAloha that have been shared in the forum before. Surprise gifting of ukuleles and other general acts of kindness from the Okami family speak to what a wonderful company KoAloha is. And they build some fantastic sounding ukuleles.

A wonderful story, but not a unique one. There are many stories about the big hearts of the good people at KoAloha that have been shared in the forum before. Surprise gifting of ukuleles and other general acts of kindness from the Okami family speak to what a wonderful company KoAloha is. And they build some fantastic sounding ukuleles.

They are truly great people, and you ain't joking about the great sounding ukes. I've been trying to figure out how to post audio files.

What an Awesome story!...

Thank you, for posting!

wow . . .
really nice

A wonderful story, but not a unique one.

True the kindness and Aloha of KoAloha is universal to many who have experienced the Okami's extraordinary generosity. What is wonderful is that everyone's own KoAloha story is a one of a kind personal experience that can not be replicated.

What makes Scott's story touching to me is the beautiful way he is able to openly share his adoption story and the unconditional KoAloha love that both he and his wife have for their two daughters even through the challenging difficult times. Lokahi embodies this unique spirit and Paul was able to capture the spirit and heart of the Webb family in this beautiful ukulele.

Last edited:
True the kindness and Aloha of KoAloha is universal to many who have experienced the Okami's extraordinary generosity. What is wonderful is that everyone's own KoAloha story is a one of a kind personal experience that can not be replicated.

What makes Scott's story touching to me is the beautiful way he is able to openly share his adoption story and the unconditional KoAloha love that both he and his wife have for their two daughters even through the challenging difficult times. Lokahi embodies this unique spirit and Paul was able to capture the spirit and heart of the Webb family in this beautiful ukulele.

Thank you for the very kind comment Gmoe. Naming the ukulele Lokahi was two-fold: the unity between the two families that were so far apart in miles, and also the bonding of my wife and I with our daughters. I (although not qualified by any stretch of the imagination) am teaching my oldest Bridget to play a little and actually, she is doing quite well! She has strong fingers and won't allow any dead strings when she plays notes. My youngest Raeden, although probably won't ever be able to play, enjoys coming over to her dady when he's playing and strumming his uke. What really tugs at my heart, is when I'm playing, she will dance, even if my playing is terrible. 50% of the time it is, but I'm working on it! Unfortunately, her seizure condition probably won't allow her brain to develop beyond that of a 2-3 year old, but there's always hoping.

Aloha Scott,
Good Morning and thank you for sending me that awesome link to your blessed story....it was awesome man...Yes the Okami family is very generous with big hearts...they give quietly to
many others you hardly hear about it...one is my friends son who at two years old was strumming a uke already...Papa KoAloha gave him a soprano free..wow...I will be praying for Bridget too
and hopes she will out grow her seizures and or be cured...and I am glad to hear that the surgery was successful in helping her with her medicines.. Wow that is an awesome ukulele and
your are blessed, I really like the angel wings on their KoAloha insiignia on thier faceplate...wow.. yes the inlay is beautiful too..I think it was done by Arron Oda...he usually does all their inlays..
it is awesome.. As for Gordon Marks...My friend took a class from him that papa Koaloha suggested, it was 40 and hour...my friend really gained alot of experience out of it and got some personal
arrangements by him...It may have taken awhile but it certainly looks well worht it for sure...gee you might have the first proto type of a bolt on neck from them..soo cool...it must sound like a
dream.....I love the hawaiian islands behind by the tuners and the fretboard inlay too... Thank you for sharing it with me and hope your daughter Raedon will improve in the future...As for the
link to the story I will paste it on here so you can send it to you friends on email or here...http://www.koalohastory.com/koaloha-talkulele-story-collection/kentucky-koaloha-story-scott-webb/
All you do is left click on the top address bar and highlight it.. then press and hold the control key and the letter C for copy and then when you want to paste it somewhere you just click the area
and you want it(left) and press Control and the V letter...let me know if you need more assistance...I will hhelp you... I am deeply touched in your passing along favors and and I really believe in
that too...it is the deepest and kindest thing you can do...please keep in touch.... And May you and your family have many more of God's Blessings int the future...Also enjoy, savor and play your
Koaloha...it was God sent.. If you ever are back in hawaii, give me a holler...or you can here... I'd be honored..your new friend, I will be sending you a UU friend request. Your new friend, Stan

This is the kind of story that just stays with you... Thanks Scott.

Stan,

It was a blessing talking with you last night on the phone. You are a very kind, caring. Yes, I practiced my arpeggios today as soon as I got home...it ain't easy, especially trying to use the little finger! But, I'm gonna keep at it. I might be able to play well enough to post something on the videos forum one day.
And to let you know, I will absolutely give you a call when we're in Honolulu. Can't wait to meet you and for you to meet my family!

Scott

Jack, I was blessed and hoped by telling this story to pass just a little of that blessing on to those who read it. Thanks for your kind words.

Top Bottom