Have money, now spending - fantastic soprano?

bynapkinart

Reaction score
Well it looks like I'm selling one of my guitars this afternoon, which means I'll have about $700 to fund a new uke. I'd prefer a soprano, and I could possibly go for the KoAloha longneck as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make before starting this process? I don't have a shop within 600 miles to try a K-brand uke out, so I'm doing this sight unseen and (in the case of the KoAloha, if I decide on that) I'll try to get in touch directly with Sam at Larry's Music to see if he could send me the best one he has.

I know that I'd really like a K-brand (unless there's something better out there for roughly the same price or slightly cheaper). Other than that I'm open, though I'd definitely like to spend all the cash I get on a uke (or possibly ukes). I reinvest, I'm not looking to save too much money :D

I'd call and ask for them to play the KoAloha longneck soprano (or whatever else you're looking into) for you over the phone.

I would trust Samuel at Larry's Music. When I was at Larry's Music to buy a Kamaka tenor, he showed me how he assesses instruments. He played a few Kamaka tenors and didn't say that any one was better than any other, but he was able to articulate and demonstrate the differences among them. If you ask him to pick one for you, let him know what your sound preferences are or ask him to explain the differences in the ukuleles he tries out for you before you select one.

Like others have said, you can't go wrong with a Koaloha longneck, although personally I'd opt for the longneck *pineapple* option. If your budget was about $100 more, I'd say go for the Kamaka pineapple.

Can't really go wrong with a "K" brand. I like the look of the Kamaka.

I tried the KoAloha today and wasn't impressed. I liked the Kanile'a K1 miles better. It's a personal thing, really best to try in store. Everyone is different :).

I'm second guessing myself...I could actually really dig a solid mahogany soprano like the Ohana SK38. I really like every clip I hear. Any opinions?

I'm second guessing myself...I could actually really dig a solid mahogany soprano like the Ohana SK38. I really like every clip I hear. Any opinions?

If you're interested in a solid mahogany instrument, I don't think you can do much better than a Kiwaya KTS-4 (or if you're looking for something a little more decorated, their KTS-6 and -7 are essentially the same uke, just with more binding). I used to own a KTS-4 and it was impeccably made and sounded great. :) I believe I've seen a few second-hand ones for sale recently, on FMM and here.

You can buy both with the money you have!! Like you said, you don't want to save too much money

You can buy both with the money you have!! Like you said, you don't want to save too much money

Well now I'm thinking I could be much better served getting a couple of ukes. First on my mind, surprisingly enough, is the Ohana SK38. I always drool over the KoAloha, but every clip I hear of the Ohana actually suits me a bit better. I like the bark of a mahogany uke, and I think before I jump into Koa it might be better for me to get a very nice, solid mahogany soprano. The Ohana is obviously appealing for the price, and that way I can stack the rest of the cash away for when I'm looking at Koa (or when I'm looking for my next solid mahogany uke).

just something else to consider...I have two Mya Moe sopranos, one made from mango, the other koa. They are the best sounding sopranos I ever heard and cost only a little more than the amount you mentioned.

As an option to K brands, I would seriously look at Loprinzi ukes. Just awesome and each hand made, yet in your budget. Ohta-san plays Loprinzis!

There are some beautiful hand-made sopranos available in your price range: Black Bear, Brad Donaldson, SpruceHouse, Mya Moe, etc. You'd need lots of patience, though.

Oh, and if you're patient you shouldn't have trouble finding a used Kiwaya or Ohana. Don't forget to check out the deals in UU's marketplace and at flea market marketplace.

Like others have said, you can't go wrong with a Koaloha longneck, although personally I'd opt for the longneck *pineapple* option. If your budget was about $100 more, I'd say go for the Kamaka pineapple.

I love my KoAloha longneck Pineapple!!

I've got an SK-38, and paired with a set of Worth CMs, it sounds amazing. It manages to have a deeper tone than my Mainland mahogany concert while still having a great soprano bark

I've got an SK-38, and paired with a set of Worth CMs, it sounds amazing. It manages to have a deeper tone than my Mainland mahogany concert while still having a great soprano bark

I want that. That's exactly what I want. Every time I read about the SK38 I see what I want...Koa ukes may not be my thing for now.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to go with, new Ukes are great and it sounds like you know what you're looking for which is even better :D

Top Bottom