Two uke's in one week!!

Uk3player78

Reaction score
I am currently in sunny Swindon with my wife and daughter visiting her parents. As this is my first visit as a ukulele player i visited my usual music shop to see if they had any uke's, Kempster & Son. They had a few Lanikai and Kala's along with a brand i'd never heard of. I took a shine to the Kala KA-SEM exotic mahogany, nice tone for the price soo i haggled a bit and walked out with the Kala and a case. :D.

The very next day i thought a drive to Bournemouth would be a good idea to visit The Southern Ukulele Store. I brought my Ohana SK35G just for comparisons. I played the KoAloha KSM-00 soprano, it was ok but not what i was expecting. I tried the Kala KA-KS soprano, like the SEM better. Then the Kala solid mahogany soprano, another no. Then the Pono deluxe mahogany soprano, wasn't keen. I spotted one Ohana SK38!! Impossible to find as i looked for this one before soo the sales man and i did a comparison between them all and i 100% favored the Ohana even over my SK35G!!!! The 35 is plinky and nice but the 38 is loud and warm. As the Ohana range is popular and since the shop has been waiting for Ohana's i was offered a good trade in price, so i did it :D. I could have easily kept both but i doubt i would have played the 35 so it saved an eBay listing. Before i left i said give me a uke to aim for. He handed me a Kanile'a K1 soprano and simply WOW!! Out of budget at this time. He said some like the KoAloha others the Kanile'a i am the Kanile'a lover, although i do think i'm more of a mahogany than Koa player judging by my taste in tone.

Pics taken with my mobile.

Last edited:
Kala.
IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

Nice that you got to get your hands on lots of ukes; more nice that you got to take two of your favorites home. Congratulations!

WooHoo Two in one week. Congratulations. They are very nice looking

Smarts, effort and luck got you two ukes in a week! It might be a good time to buy a lottery ticket.

I haven't heard an exotic mahogany, but am very pleased with my Kalas, acacia and lacewood. The Ohana is really pretty.

What a great looking pair, congratulations! The Ohana is especially cute. :)

Thanks, the exotic mahogany is just a name for good looking laminate ;), everyone needs a take everywhere uke. The Ohana is the closest a thrifty Scottish person will get to a vintage Martin. Saying that the Kanile'a is stirring my UAS!

Top Bottom