Need a shaker?

ralphk

Reaction score
Every now and then one needs a shaker to get some rhythm going and while one can purchase a variety of designs, here is a simple one that you can make.

WalGreen has knee high stockings for ladies that come in a small egg shaped container. After the stockings are removed, put the lead pellets from a #8 shotgun shell in the container, and there you have one that fits into the hand very nicely.

One can use a small plastic pill bottle too, but the egg shape is nicer

Ralph

egg shaker.jpg

So, when you are done you have a shaker, a shotgun, and some ladies stockings......that could make for quite a night!

Last edited:
The band Ed's Redeeming Qualities used to use for a shaker an old coffee can with the plastic lid on, partly filled with uncooked rice.

I find it amazing how many different sounds you can get depending on the shape, material, and filling of shakers. Everything from crazy loud aluminum tubes filled with shot to wooden eggs that can give a huge variety of rhythms based on how you hold and move them to plastic or metal samba shakers. My current favorite is a Meinl dual plastic samba shaker. I don't know what's inside it but it's amazing the subtlety you can get from that thing.

And, no, I absolutely do not have SAS! LOL

John

When I was a kid, before there were environmental concerns, we used to make maracas in classroom settings by covering light bulbs with paper mache'. After the paper mache' had dried, we would bash the bulbs on the table until the glass broke into small shards. Then, we could shake the maracas in time with the music! As far as I know, no one ever managed to cut themselves, or breathe toxic gasses from our home made instruments.

when the kids were younger I used to use the plastic shells from the 'Kinder Surprise' chocolates and fill them with uncooked rice. Worked a treat. Your shotgun pellets and ladies stocking arrangement reminds me too much of the dreams I had last night after eating too much garlic and drinking too much cab sav...he he :eek:

Top Bottom