never be out of tune again?

Interesting- so it has springs that ensure a constant tension on the strings. But couldn't the springs go 'out of tune' as well?

Here's their site: http://evertune.com/index.html

And of course the answer to the big question: $330 plus shipping, not counting installation costs ($200-$300). For those prices, I'll stick with my Snark and take a vacation.

Stupid, stupid product. Sure, if you are a worl renowned artiste, blow your bucks... But...new players, how do you get to learn bow notes sound, what is off etc?

How true! I can tell instantly if a string is out of tune...it took over a year to get to that point (I'm not a natural
musician). It feels so good to, finally, have tuned my ears, as well as, my strings.

Save your money!

i don't think this is something for beginners/intermediates at all.

don't think it's a 'stupid product' - rather the opposite.

not an advertisement - just something i happened upon and thought i would share, ya know, for conversation. besides, you gotta know the uke with one is coming eventually.
peace. jc

Definitely an interesting product. Also definitely going to polarise opinion.

All opinions are personal: all opinions are valid for their various reasons.

My own opinion? I'm afraid I'm with bazmaz: it seems a bit stupid... Another layer of gratuitous technology to separate the player from his instrument.

Some would argue that even the digital tuner is a step too far. I'd be cursing without mine as my hearing isn't really up to tuning in a noisy pub, but we each draw our lines in different places.

My rule of thumb = If you can't make your music when the electricity is out, then you have got something wrong.

I'd be inconvenienced by the failure of my tuner, but not to a show-stopper degree. The more gadgets we use, the more likely we are to rely on them.

YMMV.

My rule of thumb = If you can't make your music when the electricity is out, then you have got something wrong.

I'd be inconvenienced by the failure of my tuner, but not to a show-stopper degree. The more gadgets we use, the more likely we are to rely on them.

YMMV.

Well put. Too often nowadays, I see a lot of musicians pointing to tuners saying "I can't be out of tune, this says I'm right!" and not realizing that you're not playing with a tuner, you're playing with other musicians. Make music.

My own opinion? I'm afraid I'm with bazmaz: it seems a bit stupid... Another layer of gratuitous technology to separate the player from his instrument.

Some would argue that even the digital tuner is a step too far. I'd be cursing without mine as my hearing isn't really up to tuning in a noisy pub, but we each draw our lines in different places.

YMMV.

Gratuitous technology. I like that and am in complete agreement. Just another gadget that, at least to me, looks like it might have its own drawbacks (not the least of which is the cost).

I've been playing fretted instruments for over fifty years. Started when I was eight. Up until just a couple of years ago I used a tuning fork (A-440) to get my A string in tune and then tuned the rest using tempered tuning. When I started having trouble hearing certain frequencies over the typical noises in coffee shops where I'd be playing, I switched to electronic tuners. I still use the tempered tuning method, though, when I'm someplace that it's quieter.
The more you play, the more you'll be able to detect when you're out of tune.

And, yeah, that electricity going out can sure put a damper on your playing if all you have is a solid body electric that has to run through an amp. One of the best ways to pass the time (at least for me) when the lights are out or I'm just where there's no electricity available, is playing one of my guitars or ukes.

It's all down to choice though.

Some would criticise me for using tuners and the occasional capo (on guitar). If this system works for people then I have no problem with that... Even if I don't get it myself.

One of my mate's has one of those self tuning Gibson guitars.

It's damn cool for sure but not really worth the bucks. Almost as much as my car!!!!!!

39456.jpg

i don't know if anybody feels the same, but i trust my ear more than the electronic tuners i've tried.
sometimes all the lights are green, but the instrument needs a little touch to be in bettter tunning.

i don't know if anybody feels the same, but i trust my ear more than the electronic tuners i've tried.
sometimes all the lights are green, but the instrument needs a little touch to be in bettter tunning.

You have a good ear. Mine is not so discerning, so I have to depend on those little green lights. It sounds so much better than when I try to tune by ear.

chindog, listen to the strings and trust yourself.
by the way.... always tune your instruments stretching the strings, never relieving the tension on the strings
if you get passed the pitch, unwound and retune again. the last movement must ALWAYS be tensioning the string

sorry for my english, but is it clear what i'm trying to say??

I curious as to how it works as it seems pretty interesting, but wouldn't you need strings that don't wear out to have a product keep them in tune forever? I think the real value for this and how it should (or may be) marketed is as a product that keeps you in tune for people who play for long periods of time on stage. A device that keeps you from going out of tune during a set is, indeed, a wonderful product.

The system is all mechanical (not electronic), so does that change anyone's opinion?
This being the case, can't it just be seen as the evolution of the instrument? There was a time when guitars didn't have geared tuners...
...isn't this development in the same direction?

Constant tensioning string tuning devices go back to the 19th century and were used on some of the nickelodeon arcade mechanical instruments like those that had automaton violins, banjos, and guitars. They tended to use a system of weights and levers at one end of the string because that was convenient. Those infernal machines are really quite wonderful. There are a number of them working and on display on Pier 45 in San Francisco. Take lots of quarters and be ready to dodge the tourists!

Sounds pretty amazing to me. Sure, I can tune by ear or make adjustments while playing if a string goes a little out. I can pull out an electronic tuner too. No biggie. But then think of this situation. You're playing a set in a loud bar or party and in-between songs you just press a button while saying your little bit to the audience and you're all tuned up, ready go for the next song. That's it.

There's also, the I've had a few too many and can't really tell if I'm perfectly in-tune or not. Maybe I shouldn't still be playing, but heck, everyone's having fun and at least I'll be in-tune.

Is it one more separation between the musician and the instrument. Yes, but is tuning really the place where you bond with your uke? or is it while you're playing. For new players, I agree, tuning helps develop your ear, but for a seasoned player tuning is not so important.

Top Bottom