Baritone strings

Marcy325

Reaction score
For the BARITONE players out there--

I know this is one of those subjective things, but for a spruce top uke, or a baritone in general, what strings do you like and why. I'm thinking of making a string change. Thanks.

Don't have a spruce top, but play a mahogany Favilla Bari and have really enjoyed the Southcoast non-wound linears tuned to C with a low G 4th string. Crisp, good sustain and definitely more uke-like in that tuning. My uke came with Martin Bari strings (DGBE) and they were nice sounding but very guitar-like. Also found the wound strings wore fairly quickly.

With the Southcoast strings it's almost like having a super tenor. Personal preference right now is GCEA on the Favilla Bari but I may go back to "traditional" DGBE Bari tuning sometime at which point I'm sure they'll be some experimenting.

I agree. The Southcoast linears are great baritone strings. I use them on both of my Pono baritones. The Spruce top and the mahogany.

Mike

Might as well chime in too. Spruce top Bari, Southcoast linears (non-wound). No brainer for me as well-they are great strings.

Me, too

Me, too. Southcoast GCEA strings are great. For DGDE strings I go for Aguila, and I play a beautiful Bushman baritone that I've had for about four years.

I've had good experience with the D'addario baritone set. They're long lasting, and have a crisp balanced tone from a spruce top.

I guess Aquila baritone set + spruce top will give the maximum volume and power.

However, my current string of choice for baritones is Guadalupe's custom GCEA strings tuned one octave low, so it's lower tuned than the standard DGBE tuning and played with regular GCEA fingerings.

I put a set of tenor low g Orcas on my mahogany baritone.
The orcas are all unwound, with the longer scale of the baritone I tuned DGBE.
Surprisingly I like the voice and feel of the strings. The no wound gives me nice string life too.
I really like the new Martin strings, but the wounds oxidized and split quickly.

Top Bottom