Dumb string question

itsme

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but my search-foo is failing me due to not being able to think of any search terms unique enough to nail it down.

Is it okay to use tenor strings (with no wounds) on a concert? How about a soprano?

Now, I understand there are differences in diameter, tension and all that. But I'm thinking the shorter scale lengths of concert/soprano with their inherently lower tension should be able to accommodate a higher tension string intended for a tenor?

Specifically, I'm looking at re-using some of the Aquilas I took off my tenors on my concert Fluke, and maybe my soprano Flea (which should be here next week :)).

I wouldn't dream of putting a heavier tension out-of-spec string on a nice solid-top vintage concert/soprano, but we're talking Flukes and Fleas here. Laminate tops, composite backs, supposedly pretty hearty little buggers. :p

im not sure about putting it on a concert... i think ive read it could be bad for your bridge. and if thats true for the concert then i dont think its a good idea at all for putting it on a soprano...

I put concert strings on a soprano, and had no problems (it was Aquilas on a Dolphin). I have never tried putting tenor strings on a concert though. Let us know how it goes if you try it. It seems like it would be similar to changing to a higher tension string (like the "fat" worth strings).

–Lori

Hi itsme

In order to obtain the same pitch in two different scale lengths, the tension have to be increased by the square of the ratio of two scale length. If you go from a typical tenor (17 inches) to a concert (15 inches), the tension must increase by (17/15)^2 = 1.28, ie., 28 %. It is significant, but is not all that drastic. I think a ukulele is OK if it's not fragile. I wouldn't do it on a high-end precisely tuned ukulele but Fluke should be strong enough.

To use a tenor set on soprano is probably a bad idea. With a 13" scale, you would increase the tension by 71 %.

Cheers
Chief

A light gauge string set can go on most scales but often in different tuning because of differences in tension. I guess Aquilas are mediums, maybe depending on scale length, since they are specific to each size?? If it was my Fluke I would try it, and I would just tune it up carefully and listen and feel the strings as they went up. You can tell when they are where you like them, and if they feel tight they are in my personal experience. I just wouldn't force the C tuning. I have one tenor that doesn't like tenor strings at C but is fine tuned down a step. I have a bari wearing tenor stings (all unwound Worths) that sound freaking awesome at around E A C# F#. Just tune the Fluke down a step or so if it feels tight in standard tuning, it might sound really nice.

I looked in my string drawer and don't see the string sizes on my Aquila tenor set, but a
Black Line tenor set is as follows: 1st = 0.023, 2nd 0.027, 3rd 0.031, 4th 0.025.
Worth Brown soprano/concert set: 1st = 0.0185, 2nd 0.0260, 3rd 0.291, 4th 0.0205

On a 21.5 inch scale down to a 430mm or about 17 inch scale for six string requintos or guitarleles, I have put standard classical strings on both, which is what is recommended. So that's from 25.5 inches to 17 inches, over six strings, half of them wound, versus 17 inches to 15 inches. Same for my electrics, they use full scale strings and are tuned up a fourth. Ukes are a lighter build but I agree with Lori. I don't see any trouble on a Fluke.

D'Addario Phosphor Bronze wounds though, we'd have to slap your hands. ;)

Hey itsme,

It's not that the question is dumb. What's dumb is the common practice of having names like "Tenor Strings", "Concert Strings", etc. We use "Light Gauge", "Medium Gauge", etc. It puts decision making in your hands, but I think you can handle it. Most string manufacturers don't.

At best, their practice is just an educated guess as to what will sound best on your instrument. At worst, it's just a gimmick to sell more strings.

It also causes a lot of confusion, which is obvious here. First, your specific question is putting Aquila "Tenor" strings on a standard Concert. As far as tension, the answer is twofold.

First, moving the set from a 17" scale to a 15" scale, and keeping the tuning the same, means the tension will drop from what it was on the Tenor.

Second, however, it will still be more tension than an Aquila concert set would give you. That's because on average, the Tenor set is 2-3 mm larger in diameter than the concert. Gauges are here:

http://aquilacorde.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=1656&lang=en

That doesn't amount to a huge difference over the tension you would get from a Concert set, and it would be difficult for me to imagine an instrument so delicate that this could cause problems. It will make a difference in sound, however, and you will either like or dislike the feel of the altered tension depending on how you play.

The point here - as Teek was making - is that you will know what you and your instrument want or need better than Aquila. Don't let the names get in your way. Put on the strings, see how they feel and sound, and if they were to seem very much tighter, keep an eye on how the instrument handles it. Usually sound quality and playability go down at around the same point that the potential for damage arises.

Last edited:
I went ahead and put some used Aquila tenors on my Fluke concert and after a couple days of settling, they seem to be just fine. :)

But I am reminded of why I took them off other ukes in the first place. Just not crazy about them.

I put a Worth Clear low-G tenor string on my Kanile'a concert and it sounded dull, flat,.. absolutely awful, so there must be something to the size/tension aspect.

Top Bottom