Anyone have a Bass Ukulele?

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Bass Ukulele? How do they play? I hear the one in Ukulele Orch of GB and like the way it blended with the Sopranos.

Ukulele Orch of GB uses an acoustic bass (traditional size) by Crafter. You could see here:

If you are wanted a bass ukulele, the Kala Ubass is your ukebass. The West Cork Ukulele Orchestra use this model: You could see here:

I strung my Harmony baritone with the octave lower strings from Guadalupe and it could give a lot of lower end to a ukulele group,but not as low as the Cork's bass, that's a real bass sound, must be a Kala or Kala ubass type .

Last edited:
Love that dude's hair. How many 'ukulele orchestras are there now anyways? It seems like every county is getting together a rip-off of the UOGB (not that it's a bad thing).

There is like no info on the ubasses out there. I'm super curious myself. If I get my hands on one (I'm trying to set up a review with Kala) I'll let you peeps know.

If you search in the Uke Talk section you should find several threads on the Kala UBASS - several of us have them and have commented on them.

John

maybe the ubass in The West Cork Ukulele Orchestra video is not a Kala Ubass exactly. maybe it's a baritone uke with low g strings...

Definitely not a Kala UBASS unless they've started making one with better tuners. The Kala UBASS comes with big plastic tuners (even the shaft is plastic) with huge "winged" knobs like many basses.

I suspect he's using a baritone uke and a pitch shifter, actually. You can hear the slight latency of the shifter. I've used a seven-string guitar and an EHX POG-2 polyphonic octave generator to simulate a five string bass and it sounds almost exactly like this but with a bit more edge because of the metal strings. Same latency, though.

John

Several of my videos have my ubass in it, but this one features it as a solo instrument.

I've been eyeing the Kona Walking bass. Anyone here have one?

Top Bottom