Kamaka Liliu six string

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
After searching in earnest since last November, I have finally found a Kamaka Liliu that is "the one" for me. Having looked at a number of used and new ones through many different sources, this is the one that I have settled on. I purchased it from Mandolin Brothers in NY.

The sound is incredible. Very complex, full, rich, and loud. The action is a tad high at the nut, but I will lower it some when I change out the strings. I am not enamored with the Kamaka strings and will probably change them out to Worths. It of course came tuned the standard Kamaka way with both the C and A strings tuned an octave apart and a "high" G string. The more I play it the more I am liking this tuning, although when I re-string it I will try some other options including a low G with the C's tuned in octaves and the A's in unison.

It is definately different than playing a four string. No sloppy fretting here. Because of that, I think that it will improve my playing over time. Strumming it is fantasic. I have done some limited finger picking so far, and that will require some adjustments. But I really bought it for strumming.

So without further adieu, here are some pics. This will be the first time I have loaded phots from Photobucket, so hopefully I will be succesful.

KamakaLiliu005.jpg
KamakaLiliu004.jpg
KamakaLiliu007.jpg
KamakaLiliu008.jpg

And some final pics. One with her cousin :)

KamakaLiliu018.jpg
KamakaLiliu016.jpg
KamakaLiliu019.jpg

Last edited:
without a doubt the nicest koa I have ever seen on a Lili'u. Congrats, it is beautiful. So very jealous....

Beautiful! What kind of stand is that?

This reminds me of the two of the Three Stooges...Curly and Curly Joe!

Nice grabs Dana!

Thanks Staci and Ronnie. gyosh, those are a couple of stands that I make myself. None for sale though, thanks for inquiring

OMG beautiful curly koa. It looks a special order: congrats!

Beautiful instruments! Congratulations! I have my heart set now on a Kamaka 8-string, and I hope I find one as nice as both of yours.

gyosh, some pics of a couple of my stands, including one I made for a Sceptre.

004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg

gyosh, some pics of a couple of my stands, including one I made for a Sceptre.

004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg

I was going to say "now you're just showing off," but Ronnie Aloha beat me to it. Those stands are way cool. I might have to copy your design :) Awesome collection of instruments too. No Pineapple Sunday? I'm pretty jealous. Thanks for the pics.

-Gary

Great instruments - I've played Gillian's Kamaka 6-string, and it is lovely - finger picking was no problem at all - she has it strung with Worth Browns.

And that stand for the Sceptre is glorious! I could use one for mine! (BTW - what kind of case do you use for your Sceptre?)

-Kurt

That is a beauty!! Congrats!! I was just at the Kamaka Factory and was playing their 6 string and then I tried the 8 string....now I gotta start saving money again for that 8 string!!!

That is a beauty!! Congrats!! I was just at the Kamaka Factory and was playing their 6 string and then I tried the 8 string....now I gotta start saving money again for that 8 string!!!

molo, I have seen that Kanilea six string in your signature for a long time know and often wondered how it sounded. I have had my sights set on the Kamaka for a long time now, but had a second hand Kanilea or KoAloha come up for sale somewhere, I might have wavered.

I was going to say "now you're just showing off," but Ronnie Aloha beat me to it. Those stands are way cool. I might have to copy your design :) Awesome collection of instruments too. No Pineapple Sunday? I'm pretty jealous. Thanks for the pics.

-Gary

Gary,

Feel free to copy my stands. I used Mahogany, Curly Maple and ebony for accents. Black velour for the padding. The curved Mahogany support is attatched to the base with a through mortise and tenon, secured with an ebony wedge.

Oh, and only because you asked about it.....
017.jpg

Top Bottom