PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Box Steel String Lap Steel Tenor Ukulele

frankiej
09-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Here's a video describing my recently finished, long in the works project. Enjoy, and as always, fire away with any questions comments or complaints!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=praYvFl3U58

fahrner
09-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Very cool frankiej. I especially like the headstock and the way you resolved the problems you had with it. That's part of the fun in building.
Brass screws for fretboard markers is another cool idea.
Curious if you re-enforced the soundboard at all but looks like a pretty strong box so maybe no need.
Just started playing slide a few months ago so especially enjoyed your post.
Good job and thanks for the post.

frankiej
09-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks a lot for the kind words fahrner! There is no bracing of any kind. With the separate tailpiece, not a lot of the string pressure is on the soundboard, so it doesn't really need any bracing there. The wood that makes up the top is probably 1/8" thick, pretty stout. The weakest part seems to be where the neck attaches to the body, but with the box glued shut, it seems to be plenty stout. Thanks for the question my friend!

sharp21
09-03-2011, 06:18 AM
That sounds fantastic! Great playing. Really like the headstock too
S.

frankiej
09-03-2011, 04:43 PM
That sounds fantastic! Great playing. Really like the headstock too
S. Thanks for the nice words! That headstock looks like a psychopath got a hold of some wood scraps and a bottle of Titebond, but I like it. I came real close to throwing the neck away!