PDA

View Full Version : Simple Newby Humidifier Question

nix
09-02-2011, 03:47 PM
My brand new Luna High Tide Tenor arrived today. It's laminate so I know humidity isn't as big an issue as it is with solid wood but I live in Arizona so I'm concerned.

My question is this: Where do I put the humidifier in the case?

It came with a Uke Crazy hard canvas covered case and a Herco Guitar Humidifier. When I opened the box, the humidifier was in the little "box" under the neck of the ukulele. Is that where it should stay? Can the humidity make it's way out of the little box or does the humidifier need to be in the open part of the case?

Thank you for your help!

Nix

RawrGazzawrs
09-02-2011, 04:33 PM
My brand new Luna High Tide Tenor arrived today. It's laminate so I know humidity isn't as big an issue as it is with solid wood but I live in Arizona so I'm concerned.

My question is this: Where do I put the humidifier in the case?

It came with a Uke Crazy hard canvas covered case and a Herco Guitar Humidifier. When I opened the box, the humidifier was in the little "box" under the neck of the ukulele. Is that where it should stay? Can the humidity make it's way out of the little box or does the humidifier need to be in the open part of the case?

Thank you for your help!

Nix

anywhere it fits should be fine... for a laminate anyway.
hows the humidity in arizona? cuz i live in vegas and humidity drops to about 10 at the least usually and my luna tattoo is still completely fine without a humidifier.

Jon Moody
09-03-2011, 04:46 AM
Yeah, you should be good anywhere in the case.

I've always had a humidifier in a case for an acoustic instrument (two, in the case of my string bass) or one of the Damp-It styles that sits in the instrument. The problem I've encountered is the rapid temp/humidity changes that we enjoy up here. The huge spike in humidity in the end of July popped a seam on my Kala, which was easily fixed.

nix
09-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Thank you both for your help! It sounds like I really don't need to worry about it... unless I get infected with UAS and end up with a solid wood beauty someday.

RawrGazzawrs - I lived in Vegas for years. Got my bachelors degree from UNLV. I think the humidity in an air conditioned Vegas home and an air conditioned Phoenix home should be much the same so if you aren't having trouble with your Luna then I probably won't either.

Nix

itsme
09-03-2011, 04:35 PM
hows the humidity in arizona? cuz i live in vegas and humidity drops to about 10 at the least usually and my luna tattoo is still completely fine without a humidifier.
They always say Arizona is a "dry heat" like that makes it better. :rolleyes:

I'm in Los Angeles, I suppose our humidity levels could be considered moderate, I've never actually humidified any of my instruments. I just keep them in their cases away from the heater or AC unit or the sun when they're not in use.

chindog
09-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Here in the Atlanta area, we have a wet heat. :) Usually, that is. We've been having a drought recently, and humidity is lower than normal. Anyway, I do the poor man's version of a case humidifier. I've got a sponge in a plastic baggy. I have punched a few holes in one side of the baggy. I keep the sponge moist, but not sopping wet. It fits in the case under the neck just fine. Oh, and the sponge needs to be cellulose, like the O-Celo brand. The petroleum based plastic sponges supposedly are prone to developing mold.

RawrGazzawrs
09-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Thank you both for your help! It sounds like I really don't need to worry about it... unless I get infected with UAS and end up with a solid wood beauty someday.

RawrGazzawrs - I lived in Vegas for years. Got my bachelors degree from UNLV. I think the humidity in an air conditioned Vegas home and an air conditioned Phoenix home should be much the same so if you aren't having trouble with your Luna then I probably won't either.

Nix

i also used to bring my ukulele to school like 2 or 3 times a week and left it outside for no more than 30 minutes and would walk around outside for just as long with it in a simple gig bag. haha, so i think laminates are really durable