Tung oil finish

Markr1

Reaction score
I'm at the final few finishs of my cigarbox uke. I sanded then applied tungoil high gloss. I steel wooled between finishes with 0000 steel wool. I wet sanded last night with 600 grit and put the 6th coat on tonight and it's starting to look good. I have a few questions. Am I going at it the right way with the steel wool between coats and also I'm waiting 24 hours between coats? How many more coats will it require? What do I do after the final coat drys? Do I wet sand with the 600 lightly just enough to scuff it up a little and then polish it out with something like minwax? Thanks for taking the time to read this and I know these are probably dumb questions but I just don't know.

The number of coats is really dependant on the oil itself. Some is pretty heavy and builds more than others. And of course it depends on the level of build and gloss you are looking for.

A light rub with 0000 steel wool between coats is good. A level sand after a few coats if you notice irregularities is also good. And it depends on the conditions as to how long between coats. If it seems dry and hard then you can go another coat.

Most oil coats I've done haven't been to get a high gloss finish, but to look more like natural wood, so I've either stopped before there was a huge build, or gave them a rub down with some 0000 steel wool and wax with a good burnish with an old t-shirt. Gives a nice natural look that makes you want to pick them up.

Good advice there. All I can add is that if you want the high gloss, 600 grit may leave scratches that are hard to buff out. Wet sand to at least 800, then buff a spot with auto finishing polish to see what you get. You can always drop back to the steel wool, add another coat or two, then try again.

Top Bottom