MGM Update - no replies

Kekani

Reaction score
I normally don't engage in posts of this matter, preferring to keep my thoughts to myself, so starting one is not the norm.

However, I know our community is interested, and I thought I'd give a quick update on Mike's condition.

I went to visit MGM last night. Prior to going, I called him to check to see if he's still there. . . he is. His words were so mumbled, I couldn't understand anything he said. I barely got it that his fluids are limited.

It was near 8pm (end of visiting hours). I won't get into details of what we briefly talked about, but I mentioned that I don't think he'll remember that I was there. He said, "Of course I'll remember". He had his phone on his bed, but his computer was now unplugged and on a counter on the other side of the room, out of reach.

He was very in and out, and had a nurse posted in his room. I asked the nurse if someone was there with him at all times, and he (the nurse) said, "Yes."

I'll ask that there be no replies to this post. There were many replies to the post that he started when he first entered the Castle Medical, and I don't want to hijack that one just to direct your written words here.
If Mike gets to read this post, he'll have faith that all of you have his health and well being in your thoughts and prayers.

I simply wanted to provide an update on the status of my friend. In most cases, our friend.

A

Last edited:
Kanaka,

Mahalo nui loa for assisting me with these updates.

I went to visit MGM today. Ramon Camarillo wanted to go so we met up there. My boys wanted to go and see Uncle Mike as well, but I was concerned about what kind of shape he was going to be in. I had alluded earlier that it seemed he was on his last leg, and I thought he was, especially supported by the update from the "Facebook comment". Suffice to say, he was in better shape than when I saw him last Friday, but still nowhere near out of the clear, and still staring down the crossroads, as the presence of the 24/7 nurse reminded me. The docs won't do anything until he gets better. He is still in a lot of pain, that is obvious.

He was still talking "bubbles", but was coherent. He remembered that I visited this past Friday, and even said he input the phone number into his phone of a mutual friend that I left with him.

He asked Ramon to play some Hawaiian music on the `ukulele that's in the room. Mike was obviously enjoying as he fell in and out of snoozing, which was great to see him in that relaxed state. When Ramon finished Song For Anna, MGM stated, "You know what is my favorite song? This one. . ." as he made the motion that Ramon does when playing One Note Samba, because Ramon does it like Ohta San. Not sure if that's his actual favorite, or his favorite from Ramon. Either way, he closed his eyes and dozed a quick one again.

Ramon handed the `ukulele to Mike, who has an extremely difficult time playing, but broke into, "Hey, I can do this song. . . " as he played Louie Louie. Nope, couldn't understand what he was saying, just like the original.

On an end note - he wants me to help him bring his stuff to the Swap Meet this Saturday, and asked Ramon if he could play while we're there. We both agreed, knowing we'll be nowhere near the Swap Meet.

On a side note - I reminded him that the thread he started has a lot of comments wishing him well. I hope he gets to see your kind words, and I hope you continue to send your wishes his way.

Anyway, I'm not one to take pictures of anyone in a hospital bed, especially someone in Mike's condition. However, Mike asked if I could take a pic, and asked us to gather around. I knew he wanted me to post it, but didn't really want to ask. He seemed happy today, so I think it'd be selfish if I didn't share his infectious smile.
DSCN0433.jpg

Just to reiterate - at the OP's request, no replies . . . all comments should be posted here. Much Mahalos

Last edited:
As you may or may not have heard, MGM came out of the hospital last Monday. I apologize that I haven't provided an update, been busy with other things and listings (as some of you have seen). Unfortunately, he's still the same Mike, running around trying to do stuff, even though he should be resting. Also unfortunate, is that he was released sans a transplant. Well, maybe that may be a good thing, but I'm not a doctor. I told him when he gets a chance to read up on the post that he started to see all the love for him out there.

I hope this is the last update I have, which means all is well, or going to be well. Thanks to all of you for your support of our friend.

A

Top Bottom