PDA

View Full Version : Tenor resonator Prototype vid...

Pete Howlett
09-05-2011, 12:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBHQ_9udUxI

sharp21
09-05-2011, 01:53 AM
Sounds fantastic! What tune was that you played?

I did notice in the pics that the star kind of sat right on the edge of the fret board so its interesting that it joins at the 13th fret...

S.

Pete Howlett
09-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I think it is called 'Filthy Rich'

Rick Turner
09-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Pete, fantastic...

And I love the rounded corners on the shelves behind you! Too many bloody foreheads not to appreciate that...

One shop guy to another...

As Ali G would say, "Respect..."

Pete Howlett
09-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks Rick - praise from peers means much to all of us. This is my 6th workshop. Everything is within reach of my bench position. It is compact yet Tardis like. I just wish I could control the dust better and stop loosing my Stanley 6'' rule!

resoman
09-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Pete, Sounds great!!
I'm curious, did you use a sound well type construction, sound post or is it open with a heavily reinforced top??

Flyfish57
09-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Hey Pete! Your new uke looks and sounds great! Nice and clean

Wish I had a Tardis workshop...My daughter wants me to make her a Dr Who uke!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
09-06-2011, 08:17 AM
You do clean work Pete. The star sound hole is perfection. That's probably the most difficult of all shapes to do well.
That's a nice uke, you'd sell all you could make in Texas. :)

Pete Howlett
09-16-2011, 03:07 AM
Bumping this up because I got a finish on it and am now sending it out to reso nuts to get feedback; Here is what Rufus Yells says:

Big parcel arrived in the post yesterday.

Inside was a fabulous looking tenor reso - breathtaking. The pictures don't do it justice - the maple has real depth under a beautiful (but not overly heavy) gloss finish. It's lighter than I expected, and sits very comfortably in the arms. It's beautifully put together and finished, with the tortoise binding setting everything off perfectly.

Pete had said to me that I was welcome to play it and road test it for an extended period - but what he was really interested in was the 'two minute test'. If, having picked it up, I was involved within the first couple of minutes; if I had picked it up at a show or shop, would I like it straight away? I wanted to say to him that with resos, I usually don't get as far as two minutes - I go for the 'single strum test' - but I didn't want to seem overly critical - he had, after all, asked for an honest opinion.

I'm delighted to report that the single strum test led to a two minute test, which led to a two hour test, and I'm still smiling. This instrument has a sound to match its looks: characterful, impressive, idiosyncratic and full. I say idiosyncratic because it very much has its own voice: not like a National; not like a Dobro, but somewhere between the two (which is a good thing). In other words, it's very much its own uke. It has a well-balanced sound across all strings; while you've heard Pete demonstrating its suitability for fingerstyle work, it also blends beautifully for rhythm playing.

I know there are some benighted souls here who don't like the reso sound and don't care for analysing it. For me, there's a special appeal in the sound which occupies the full range from gentle strumming to hard playing. Here, the Resolele performs excellently at both extremes. I know describing sound is highly objective and near impossible (like describing flavours without having the food to hand...) - but the sweet voice of the Howlett comes through: neither strident nor muffled.

I'll be sorry to send it back. If you encounter this prototype, do check it out.

Rufus doesn't participate her but he is somewhat an expert if there is any such accolade...