Tenor Low G work on Soprano?

garywj

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to go out of town and am taking my smallest uke, a Kala KA-S. It is strung high G. I'd like to have low G for playing while gone. Will a tenor low G string strong work on the Soprano? Thanks in advance for any help.

The short answer is no. The longer answer is, not really, but some people manage with it. I bought an Ohana Vita because I saw a YouTube video with it strung standard and linear, and it handled both great. I have done a lot of fussing with trying to get a low forth on a concert scale, and a low G string really works best on a tenor. I was told to try a C string tuned to G on a concert, and it also doesn't sound quite right, but it is a lot less floppy and dull, so that is something you could try. It might sound even better if you tuned the soprano down a full step or so.

But that's my opinion.. There was a previous discussion a few days ago on the subject, you can find it here.

Not safely! May work, not worth the risk

Get a low-g set made for sopranos. Ohta-san uses one.

Thanks. I have some ordered for a soprano, but they will not get here in time for the trip. You just saved me from breaking up a good set of tenor strings.

Top Bottom