website update, guitar build

jcalkin

Reaction score
Hi all---I added a detailed instrument build to my website today. Alas, it's a guitar and not a uke, but I'm working on a uke companion piece. If you're curious, please go to www.jcalkinguitars.net and look for Mark's Guitar Parts 1 & 2. Be well.

Very nice John. Covers most of the important procedures. Interesting, your brace clamping system instead of using a go-deck. I like the spreader you're using in the cutaway mold. What did you use for the bushing guides in you slotted headstock jig? Once the jig is in place are you drilling them by hand or on a drill press? I too enjoy the process of purfling with abalone; I use solid shell however. I think many of the production shops are using Zipflex. Now that stuff is pricey! Colors are a little too artificial looking for me but it sure lays up quickly.
Nice job on the web site update.

Thanks Chuck. The bushing are hardened drill bushings from MSC. The holes are drilled with a hand drill (electric) and there is never a problem as long as the jig is clamped tightly. The jig for the slot indexes off the side holes. I've used solid abalone. I have no preference as long as the stuff is pretty enough. I've used Zipflex on exactly one guitar. It saves huge amounts of time, but it's time I enjoy too much to surrender. On the other hand, I built three go-decks and disliked them a lot, so I abandoned them long ago. I built the brace clamping fixtures when I took over that part of the work at H&D and took down the vacuum rig. If I'd known they would still be in use 13 years later I would have made them prettier.

Thanks, Flyfish57. Thanks to you, too, Michael. My website is strictly a DIY project. I don't even know what Safari is. Sorry you couldn't enjoy it as much as you might have.

Top Bottom