Shubb Ukulele Capo

Noobie

Reaction score
I see Shubb makes a capo specifically for the ukulele now. Has anyone tried one? I'm concerned because I have heard that some capos won't work on the thin neck of the Honu ukes.

And before anyone suggests, I'd rather not tune up or transpose, thanks. :)

If anyone's got it figured out, it's Rick Shubb. He's sold over a million capos! And he's a great Bluegrass banjo player...and a good guy.

I tried the Shubb and didn't like it. Simple reason? It's too heavy for such a light instrument, and made the neck feel unbalanced.

A shame, as i swear by Shubbs on guitar.

In did test one of these though http://customcapo.com/?page_id=7 which I thought was cool. So light you wouldn't know it was there. I reviewed it too - http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/01/volcapo-ukulele-capo-review.html

I bought one of these I sing like them the button gets in the way and its awkward to put on I have to use it though on the kala as the neck is too thin for my mandolin capo

I see Shubb makes a capo specifically for the ukulele now. Has anyone tried one? I'm concerned because I have heard that some capos won't work on the thin neck of the Honu ukes.

And before anyone suggests, I'd rather not tune up or transpose, thanks. :)

I am hoping to buy a Shubb Uke Capo at the Wine Country Uke Fest. From what I hear, he worked closely with some ukulele consultants to develop it. My experience with Shubb guitar and banjo capos has been very positive. They have an excellent fit and finish, low profile, easy use and aren't showy. They really last a long time too.
–Lori

Coming in mid January 2012:
SHUBB LITE capo for Ukulele. Less than half the weight of the original, and it'll come in five colors: silver, blue, violet, green and red.

SHUBB LITE capo for Ukulele. Less than half the weight of the original, and it'll come in five colors: silver, blue, violet, green and red.

Welcome to UU. I can't wait to try your new lite uke capo. It will be difficult to choose the color. I like the blue and the green ones especially.

–Lori

Timing is everything. I bought a few (radius and non-radius) Shubb ukulele capos recently (they're still in their original packaging!) but I like the idea of a lighter capo, given how heavy the capos seem to be and how light my ukuleles are to begin with. Maybe I could exchange mine for the lighter ones?

Timing is everything. I bought a few (radius and non-radius) Shubb ukulele capos recently (they're still in their original packaging!) but I like the idea of a lighter capo, given how heavy the capos seem to be and how light my ukuleles are to begin with. Maybe I could exchange mine for the lighter ones?

You can trade them in for the new Lite ones. Email me at shubb@shubb.com.

This is excellent news my mandolin Capone's is to large for the thin profile of my kala tenor

I know this is an old thread. Anybody know if that capo is good for a baritone neck? [Kala]

From my guitar days, I had found that the Shubb capo was The Capo to use - as far as intonation goes.

Mine works fine on my Pono MB. My guess is it would be fine for your Kala.

It's great, by the way. Easy to use, accurate, not too heavy. Well made and well designed.

From what I hear, he worked closely with some ukulele consultants to develop it.

I hear that the ukulele player who brought the idea to them and consulted with them on it never actually uses a capo.

Personally, if I ever needed a capo, I would use a pencil and an elastic band. Works well on any size uke. You have to get a local luthier to do a set-up on the pencil, of course.

I hear that the ukulele player who brought the idea to them and consulted with them on it never actually uses a capo.

Personally, if I ever needed a capo, I would use a pencil and an elastic band. Works well on any size uke. You have to get a local luthier to do a set-up on the pencil, of course.

I don't know Ken, a pencil and a rubber band sounds like a dangerous eye injury waiting to happen. I love the Shubb blue and green lite capos the best. I don't need them very often, but when I do, it keeps me from getting a headache.

–Lori

Top Bottom