PDA

View Full Version : My first uke

mjordon
09-06-2011, 04:55 AM
Hi there ukulele players.

My girlfriend got one of those twangy painted ukuleles for her birthday last year and decided to upgrade to a Kala Concert a few weeks ago.... now I can't stop playing it and want to get a uke for myself. My problem is that being from a small town in Australia, it's hard to get my hands on a uke in store and see what it is I am about to purchase, so your feedback would be invaluable. The two that I am torn between at the moment are...

- The Kala Mahogonay Tenor (KA-T) (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-KALA-MODEL-KA-T-MAHOGANY-TENOR-SIZE-UKULELE-/360383135118?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e8823d8e)

- The Makai Solid Spruce Top Tenor (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Tenor-Ukulele-Uke-Solid-Spruce-Top-Free-Gig-Bag-/320654857908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa884d6b4)

With shipping, they both come out to about the same price. I would be grateful if anyone out there can give me any feedback on the instruments (the way they sound, maintanence, playability, etc), the sellers and anything else you can think of.

mjordon
09-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Oh and, naturally, if any of you have further suggestions for ukes that would be great too. As you can see I'm looking at tenors and my price range is around the $150 mark (keeping in mind that about $50 of that is for shipping it all the way down here).

PhilUSAFRet
09-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Either one would work for you. Depends on where you buy it and whether or not they do a good setup.

cantsing
09-06-2011, 12:54 PM
I started playing about 6 months ago with a Kala KA-T, and it was a great starter ukulele for me. I recently bought a Mainland concert and since then I've been neglecting my tenor--I really prefer the concert scale.

Like Phil said, be sure to buy from someone who will set up your ukulele for you, unless you are comfortable doing it yourself. Hawaii Music Supply sells both Makai and Kala and does setups.

mjordon
09-06-2011, 04:09 PM
I know asking this question is a sign that I shouldn't attempt to do it myself, but what is involved in setting up a uke?

cantsing
09-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Here's some setup info: http://theukulelereview.com/2011/05/07/ukulele-setup/

BTW, I have never done business with Hawaii Music Supply, but I believe they have quite a good reputation.

Here's a UU thread about doing setup yourself:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?38170-Need-help-setting-up-a-friend-s-Makala-dolphin

Hope this helps!

mjordon
09-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. It doesn't look like either of those sellers set up the ukes before shipping them out and I'm not sure I'm up to the job just yet, so I think I am going to keep looking to see what else is out there. Though this could be a problem, because I keep getting distracted by all the other beautiful ukuleles that I now want to own.

fitncrafty
09-07-2011, 04:21 AM
How about contacting Uke Republic or Mim they both setup and could help you get in the ballpark you need. They both I believe ship worldwide too. They are both members of our forums and I have purchased from both and would definitely purchase from either one of them again!

mandrew
09-07-2011, 01:14 PM
If I were you, I would save a little more and order from a scource that will set it up well. Believe me, you don't want to be struggling with the instrument! It is worth your while to order from a reputable shop, and Hawaii Music Supply or Uke republic are well respected here. They give solid advice, and do a great set up. If you wonder what is involved in set up, look at the HMS website. They give a good explanation.

strumsilly
09-07-2011, 01:24 PM
My son - in - law has the Kala KA-T. It is a nice uke but my Kala solid cedar top tenor blows it away, so if I had to chose between the 2 I'd go with a solid top. The Kalas come pretty well set up from the factory. I've only had to shave a little off the saddles, which is no biggie.

SailingUke
09-07-2011, 02:29 PM
I like the KA-T (actually the S & C also). They make a great beginner ukulele.
The solid mahogany models are even better, but they are more money.
For my adult students I recommend the KA series and if they want more ukulele then the solid series.

back2bassics
09-07-2011, 02:49 PM
I know your price range is probably around the $100 range ($50 for shipping) but I was wondering, how do Australian $'s translate to US $'s? I'm just wondering since I was going to suggest a Cordoba 20TM-CE, which is what I have and I friggin LOVE it but... I got it for about $170... =\