It has arrived

kaizersoza

Reaction score
Well my Mainland Red Cedar Tenor has finally arrived and it is stunning, I love it is beautiful, there are a few issues with it that need addressing firstly it scatches so easily, but there must be something out there for that, do they still sell those soft cloths on UU?
Secondly there is a distinct buzzing coming from the saddle when i strum the g string and the E string , they buzz when the strings are open or fretted, so that needs to be sorted too, then this uke will be fantastic

:D

kaizer

Brilliant news - pictures!

Re the scratching - is it gloss or satin?

Re the buzzing - that surprises me with Mainland as it sounds like action is too low. I'd speak to Mike.

Well my Mainland Red Cedar Tenor has finally arrived and it is stunning, I love it is beautiful, there are a few issues with it that need addressing firstly it scatches so easily, but there must be something out there for that, do they still sell those soft cloths on UU?

I can't imagine why it would scratch any more easily than any other instrument. If you're actually scratching the finish, check for long fingernails, jewelry, etc. I have instruments that I've owned for years and years that with careful handling, I've never put a single scratch on. I own two Mainlands and I haven't found the finish to be particularly delicate.

On the other hand, if you're talking about indentations in the cedar top-- well, that's an occupational hazard with cedar. Part of what gives cedar that wide-open tone is the fact that it's a very soft wood. You can dent it with fingernail pressure. So a cedar top requires a little more care-- or a little more comfort with a well-weathered appearance!

Hi Bazmaz, it has a high gloss finish there were a few smudges on it when it arrived so i used a soft microfibre cloth to get them off, they are light surface scratches and you can't notice them unless you look at the top angling the uke towards the light, as for the buzz it seems to be coming from the saddle/bridge area, it does'nt happen for the first couple of strums then it starts when the vibes builds up, i took the saddle out and turned it around but that made no difference and to be honest i am hopeless when it comes to setting my uke up, i'll try some of the steps in your book and see if that will cure it and i'll ask Mike if he can throw some light on the subject, otherwise it will have to be looked at.
@RichM they are surface scratches that you cannot notice unless you look for them, my nails are short and i don't wear any jewellery, so they could have been there when i took it out of the box, there are some indentations on the back of the uke where the neck joins the body but they are not a problem, thanx for the heads up on cedar being a soft wood, i did'nt know that so a case is on the way, i've also ordered a soft guitar cloth to wipe my ukes down after use, anyway thank you both for your suggestions
kaizer

My Red Cedar tenor looks pretty roughed up now but the tone is well worth it. Cedar is a soft wood but the tone it has is fantastic.

I noticed the action on my Mainland was pretty low as well. It doesn't buzz or anything, but you give it a good hard strum and it'll definitely give you some percussive fret sound.

I noticed the action on my Mainland was pretty low as well. It doesn't buzz or anything, but you give it a good hard strum and it'll definitely give you some percussive fret sound.

Sometimes it's a damned if you do, damned if don't thing with action these days. Alot of noobs read a little about action and insist the lowest possible action is best because they read it somewhere, but then they strum hard and complain because it buzzes.
( This comment isn't directed at you Richard), just a general issue I encounter with setting up ukes these days.

Congratulations on receiving your new Mainland!! I am jealous! Would love to see some pics - and when you've 'broken it in', some vid of sound!

I know a buddy in my group has a Baritone Uke (not mainland) and it sort of buzzes a bit - but his is nowhere near the quality of Mainlands. Probably something very simple. Could the saddle have moved a bit in transit?

CHeers

Roberta

no probs Mike I understand your dilemma, I know how meticulous you are with your ukes after reading how much effort you put into setting them up for customers, i bought it in the UK, i do sometimes strum heavily on my ukes but even normal strumming affects it, its as if when the vibrations start to resonate the buzzing starts, I'll get it sorted though, other than the buzz its a pretty funky, sexy, eye catching, oh what the hell its absolutely stunning, i love it and I am going to enjoy playing it,

@cb56 you are spot on it has a lovely warm but punchy tone straight out of the box, when this uke opens up it will be astounding,

i will put some pics up soon Roberta, as for the vid, I did a vid on my phone today whilst waiting for my mainland to arrive, but it was pants so that was take 1, when i get a vid sorted that is ok I will post it, they'll probably ban me from UU then lol

Cedar is a relatively soft wood. It scratches and dings easier than most other top woods. I have had a cedar top Larrivee OM-09 guitar for almost 20 years. The top still looks very good, but it gets a bit more TLC and caution than other guitars I have.

Top Bottom