Is it tacky... ?

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've had my steel string Les Paul uke sitting up for a week or so letting the color coats of Nitro cure for a bit before I start laying clear over the whole thing. Well, I was thinking about binding it, but in the Luthier Lounge, they talked me out of that, and spend more time on the actual builds than the bling. I have to agree with that, and maybe I'm not ready for binding quite yet. So, I took that advice. But, instead decided to do some pin striping to break up the black lacquer back, vs. the dark mahogany burst and cherry top. It just looked like it needed some "separation" to me. So, I pin striped it in lue of binding. I used to restore and build vintage hot rods, including paint and finish, and I been applying much of my auto restoration skill sets to guitar and uke build and finish. This is a silver metalic pinstripe at the top, the natural maple exposed, to a second silver metalic pinstripe, then the black lacquer of the back. Is this tacky? Or does it look ok? Keep in mind that over all this, the entire mess will have about 4-6 coats of clear nitro lacquer so it will all be seamless and blend smooth.

P1050464.JPGP1050465.JPG

Last edited:
oh... well.. then.. I guess I will put those templates back away then.. ;)

Tony, that pin-stripe detail looks good to me (from what I can tell from pictures). Keep it.

I'm sure there is an element of personal taste involved and some people won't like it but I think the silver stripe is lovely. It's an ingenious way to add some flare without having to go through the binding process.

Nix

Nothing wrong with that, it looks good. Just make sure to test all your materials for compatibility with the lacquer you're using.

Words of wisdom for sure. I need to check it with Nitro. The pin stripping is not paint ( I used to, but my hands aren't as steady as they used to be). But it is high quality automotive type vinyl stripping. It is actually VERY thin, (much nicer than auto industry uses on their cars). Very very thin, and when applied, you can't tell it from paint, especially when clear coated over it. It is designed to be compat with auto lacquers or enamals. But, before I start applying the nitro clears, I should take a piece of it and spray it for a final test for sure. If not, then it's the crinkle finish phart mentioned, lol..

Love it, but seriously would like to see some elegant ghost flames going up the sides from the bottom.. maybe I can figure out how to put some on my Epiphone Pee Wee!

Looks good to me.

Top Bottom