Seriously, what is the deal with Ohana?!

sbpark

Reaction score
I have been waiting for months and months for an SK-38 and rumors were being passed around that they would be available by the end of august, now it is september and still no Ohanas available. I have been in the market for a solid wood soprano for a long time now, and am just thinking about giving up on the SK-38...

What are your opinions on the SK-35, Mainland mahogany sopranos and the Kiwaya Eco Series sopranos (I realize the Kiwayas are laminate, but I have heard these sounds REALLY nice).

I have an SK-38 and quite like it. It's plunky and startlingly loud. I've heard only good things about the SK-35, though I've also heard that its sound differs somewhat from that of the SK-38.

I sometimes get the feeling that there are only about forty Ohanas in existence, all of them already owned; the only way to get your hands on one is to buy it used. The solid wood Ohana is the unicorn of factory-made ukuleles.

I've played a few SK-35s and SK-35Gs. Their sonic character was a bit varied---as you'd expect from solid instruments---but each uke was lively and responsive. They sound great.

I'm a big fan of Ohana and even own one of those unicorns you're talking about! I haven't played an SK-38 but I may be tempted if I end up back in the market for another soprano.

I see that Uke Republic has them listed on his website as "Coming soon". Perhaps he may know a little more. I'm sure it won't be long now.

i probably need to clarify, i actually own an Ohana as well. I have a CK-35 that i like but my post was probably more about why it is taking them so long to get this supposed new bath to the states? how much longer will it be and is it worth the wait or should i just cut my losses and get something else?

i probably need to clarify, i actually own an Ohana as well. I have a CK-35 that i like but my post was probably more about why it is taking them so long to get this supposed new bath to the states? how much longer will it be and is it worth the wait or should i just cut my losses and get something else?
I'm sure a polite email inquiry to Ohana will get you any available information.

Maybe Ken Middleton will see this thread and hopefully provide a reasonable explanation or as stated above a polite email inquiry.

As TheOnlyUkeThatMatters says, send Ohana an e-mail. You might also contact Uke Republic. I THINK that "Coming soon" may have replaced a "Coming in August 2011," so it could mean anything from "Genuinely coming soon" to "We have no idea when it's coming. Please be distracted by the shiny object."

I have only the one Ohana, so I can't tell you how the SK-38 compares to the other models, but I do like mine.

I am on my way to San Francisco at the moment. We will have an SK-38 on display at the Ohana booth at the Wine Country Fest.

Anyway, here's what happened with this uke. We were just not expecting it to be quite so successful. It was sold out in some stores within days. It has sold very well, not just in the US, but in Europe as well.

Why are people having to wait for them? The answer is that we have to order them in advance. Our factory doesn't just churn them out at the drop of a hat. We designed it and it has to be manufactured exactly to our specification. It takes time because we have a huge catalog of other models that people also want.

As soon as we realised that this model was selling very fast, we ordered more. They will arrive next month. All the big stores have already placed an order and they will receive them quickly. Now that we know that it is in such big demand, we will try to ensure that we have more in stock to supply our stores.

That's as much as I can say

While we're on the topic of Ohana...How soon do you think the Tiples will be selling in stores?

I am working on an iPad with almost no wifi. I got cut off mid sentence. I was going to go on to say that we are sorry that people have had to wait so long. The demand for ukuleles is huge at the moment.

Thanks

Ken

I had the same issue with the TK75G; if I had more patience then I'd still be in the order queue, but I wanted it for some studio recording in late August, and went for the KoAloha Sceptre instead.

I'm disappointed to have to have waited so long, but also completely understandable too.

As someone who was lucky enough to find a SK-38, I'd say hold out for an SK-38. :) It sounds magical, especially when paired with a set of Worth CMs. It actually seems to have a warmer and deeper tone than my Mainland Mahogany concert.

I was very lucky to get the SK38. I got to compare it to some very nice ukulele's i will just say, hold out for one it will be worth it.

Ken,
Tiples at Wine Country ?
See you over the weekend, we will be there.

The SK -38 are supposed to be in early October. A lot of manufactures are running behind and as Ken has said the demand for ukuleles is very high right now. Certain instruments can't be made fast enough! The 38 is a great instrument and sells out quick so we have been doing pre orders to hopefully help customers acquire one before they are gone again.

I think the SK-38 is my favorite of the new ukes I don't have. :) Very strong case of UAS surfaces when I see or hear someone playing one. I think its gorgeous, and saves me from having to buy a Martin style 2. ;)

Who are you kidding Jon? You know you'd still buy a Style 2 someday!

Top Bottom