which books to start my uke playing question,,

Derry

Reaction score
have played classical guitar for many years and finally decided on a tenor uke,,

what are most recommended books for the newbies,,??

thanks

Derry

Ukulele for Dummies is pretty good. They have chapters dedicated to strumming techniques for different genres. The book version comes with a audio CD so you can listen to what your strumming etc should sound like. The electronic version doesn't.

I just got Uke for Dummies for my birthday from my son. He has played guitar for 25 years and recently turned to ukes. He also managed a book store and has reviewed many uke books. He thinks this Dummies book of a really good one. I haven't really gotten started on it yet.

I usually direct all noobies to Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp before they spend money on anything. After mastering what's there, you can then better choose which book you need next and save an awful lot of money in the process.......IMHO!

If you're a classical guitarist, you probably need to sort out which skills/knowledge you need. You probably know quite a lot already, and will pick a lot up intuitively. You might find John King's books a good starting point, as they are very classically minded.

(Depends how good a classical guitarist you are, of course ;) )

there's plenty of free material in the web

why waste your money, there's so much free material abailable than you'll ever be able to learn in a lifetime.

if you play class guitar, use all the material you have n translate it to ukulele
that's what i do

Top Bottom