U.S. Postal Service - Not a Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsani

Reaction score
I hate be down on the U.S. Postal Service at a time when they are struggling, but I have had an unpleasant experience with their service.

I ordered a Favilla Teardrop ukulele from Buffalo Brothers Guitars in California. I chose to have them ship via USPS to save money. I wish I hadn't.

The good news is that my uke arrived intact - but it is thanks to Buffalo Brothers care in wrapping and protecting my instrument - not the postal service!

First of all, I got an "expected delivery" date of August 30th, and the package did not arrive until September 6th. I will give them some leeway for hurricanes and such, but gee whiz. It took twice as long as they said it would, and their tracking service gave no updates on its progress until the day of delivery. So I was checking my front porch every day for a week in eager anticipation of a package that did not come.

The box arrived on my doorstep with a huge hole gouged in the side and packing peanuts spilling out. That was scary enough, but when I opened the box, the inner box which was well cushioned with packing material had a huge hole in it as well! What did they do to my package? Ram it with a forklift? Fortunately Buffalo Brothers:rock: wrapped my instrument in layers of bubble wrap which kept it from sustaining any damage.

Next time I order something valuable to be delivered I will pay extra to have it delivered by UPS, FedEx, or some other commercial delivery service - not by U.S. Postal Service!

Next time I order something valuable to be delivered I will pay extra to have it delivered by UPS, FedEx, or some other commercial delivery service - not by U.S. Postal Service!

The last uke I bought shipped via FedEx, and the box arrived with a big dent in it - right over were the shipper had carefully written the word FRAGILE! Fortunately the sender was an experienced uke seller and had packed it well enough to withstand just about anything.

Did you document this with the USPS? Not that it would do much good after the fact, but if they are aware of their failures, they may (hopefully) take steps to prevent that sort of thing in the future.

Of course, your story is pretty common. I've received packages from USPS that were pretty badly mangled. I contacted them, got the usual apologies and promises, etc. but haven't really noticed marked improvement.

And, because of that, if they do suffer some serious problems I'm not going to shed too many tears. They can't continue to expect to double charge us (via postage and also through government funding) while being so negligent and incompetent.

Anyway, happy ending that your uke is safe. And that's what really matters.

Sorry that happened to you. My experience with USPS hasn't been like yours. (Well, except or the Christmas card envelope we got in March without the card.) USPS has been my mail carrier of choice because they usually do a better job than the others.

USPS delivered one with the neck broken clean in half, it was insured. Had to threaten court to get someone from he inspector dept to just return a call. Was told they don't honor insurance if not packed "correctly" The inspector laughed and said they turn down claims all the time.

When asked why the accepted the package with an insurance payment if not packed correctly got no answer.

I never use USPS for anything important.

I think this can happen with any carrier.

+1 for this. I ship expensive stuff USPS all the time. I insure it and ship Priority Mail or Express Mail in the US (Express for ukes). I've shipped a ton of camera gear via priority mail and had no problems either. It's just luck (or lack of it). Carelessness isn't limited to USPS, that's for sure!

One more time the USPS recieves NO zero nada federal funding period. they are run by congressional law and direction and must comply with federal regulation, ie pricing 6 day delivery keep non profit centers open by direction and still make enough to operate and deliver mail and packages to ALL addresses in the USA. Look at the cost of shipping world wide vs continental US U think its expensive here ask those on this board from other countries what a letter cost to send see how many say 42 cents.

One more time the USPS recieves NO zero nada federal funding period. they are run by congressional law and direction and must comply with federal regulation, ie pricing 6 day delivery keep non profit centers open by direction and still make enough to operate and deliver mail and packages to ALL addresses in the USA. Look at the cost of shipping world wide vs continental US U think its expensive here ask those on this board from other countries what a letter cost to send see how many say 42 cents.

R U a postal employee?

I understand those who say USPS for regular mail is a bargain - and it is. I understand those who say that this can happen with any carrier - and it does. Lord knows, I took a walk through a UPS distribution center once and what they do with packages in there would turn your hair white (too late for me). But in the end I think a commercial carrier is more answerable for the condition in which your package arrives, rather than dealing with the USPS bureaucracy. I think the commercial carriers are more sensitive to the market.

I understand those who say USPS for regular mail is a bargain - and it is. I understand those who say that this can happen with any carrier - and it does. Lord knows, I took a walk through a UPS distribution center once and what they do with packages in there would turn your hair white (too late for me). But in the end I think a commercial carrier is more answerable for the condition in which your package arrives, rather than dealing with the USPS bureaucracy. I think the commercial carriers are more sensitive to the market.

I can agree with that. Claims made with UPS and Fedex might actually get paid someday while USPS - I'm not so sure. They're bureaucracy is legendary as we all know.

This came in yesterday's mail. The box was well padded, but the neck wasn't supported, so it probably wasn't their fault. But, it must have taken quite a jolt to knock the nut out.

The guy at my UPS store said that they deny claims all the time. He said that a claim can be denied just for reusing a box. If they pack it, your claim will always be honored, but they sure charge for that.

111012162.jpg

I'd be lost without the USPS... their pricing can't be beat for small stuff. I visit the local post office several times each week, and some people who work there are really great, and others are not. I am happy to say most of the clerks are good, but any large organization is going to have the full range from those-who-really-care, and those-who-don't. Add to the mix the movement of many large and unwieldy boxes, and accidents will happen occasionally. I have had computer monitors (the old tube type) come delivered UPS with a big hole punched through the box. Just missed breaking the screen, because the styrofoam box offered enough protection. Definitely double box important stuff with a lot of cushion around the item. Our packages go through quite the road trip before making it to it's destination.

–Lori

Since 2003 I have had 1 damaged item with USPS Priority Mail and 0 lost packages, I changed the way I pack the item that got damaged. Buyers usually get their package within 2 or 3 days. The free boxes work great for me as well. USPS all the way for me.

I use USPS when shipping over seas , small items like strings and sometimes when people want a uke quick or want it on a Saturday. I use UPS a lot too and have been overall happy with both but both have also delivered some beat up boxes.
I kinda want one of those little mail trucks USPS have.

I'm in Scotland so may I ask a question? Is the 44 cent for a first class letter, as in next day delivery? If so that's not bad as it costs 46p here to send a sub 100g letter 1st class, so what's that about 70 cent?

However, on the next day delivery thing, you must keep in mind Scotland is a tiny wee place in relation to the us so the next day delivery thing isn't that impressive! You may aswell shout out your window as send a letter.

Last edited:
I'm in Scotland so may I ask a question? Is the 44 cent for a first class letter, as in next day delivery? If so that's not bad as it costs 46p here to send a sub 100g letter 1st class, so what's that about 70 cent?

First class (44 cents) delivery time depends on distance from the sender. A letter takes mostly 1-3 days anywhere in the country. For guaranteed next day you're looking at a lot more. $10-20 for overnight - like fedex prices. First class is regular mail not express. Also, this place is a lot bigger that Scotland so it takes longer to get from coast to coast (3000+ miles) so that's why delivery time varies a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom